How do W and Z particles conserve energy?

In summary: I will do more research on it.In summary, the W boson, which is involved in beta decay, takes on a mass such that energy is conserved. This mass is different for different events, depending on the theoretical treatment.
Dadface
I have been looking at the Beta decay process and can't see how energy is conserved. The W boson, for example, is many times more massive than all of the other particles together. But how does that additional mass/energy come about and where does it go to? I'm guessing that it gets its mass from the Higgs field and or that it borrows its mass in accordance with the uncertainty principle.
I have found loads of sources describing Beta decay but none addressing energy conservation when the event is described in terms of Bosons. Thanks to anyone who replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
The W boson involved in beta decay is "virtual." Virtual particles can have any mass. The mass of the virtual W in beta decay is not 80 GeV but is determined by the requirement that energy be conserved.

However, the probability per unit time of producing a virtual W boson of a given mass is smaller the farther that mass is from 80 GeV. The mass of the virtual W boson in beta decay is quite far from 80 GeV, so the probability per unit time of beta decay is thus very small. All low-energy processes involving W bosons are suppressed in this way. This is why interactions mediated by W (and Z) bosons were named the "weak interaction."

Likes 1 person
The mass doesn't even have to be a real number. It can be an imaginary number as well

Thank you but let me get this clear.If I'm understanding this correctly the W takes a mass such that energy is conserved, so it can have different masses for different events ( I can't think of other events involving Ws or Zs but I will do a search). Why then do the data tables quote a single value for the mass of each particle?

These are on shell masses. Or pole masses. For real particles

If you look at the data group you will actually see many mass definitions. For example you may see the MSbar mass etc.

So not only can particles not have their pole mass in an interaction (when they are virtual) but their mass also depends on the theoretical treatment.

An example is Higgs (126 GeV) which decays to two z bosons (91 GeV) which was one of the discovery channels (4 charged leptons).
One of the z bosons has to be off shell, so more like 35 GeV for example. This is fine since it can be virtual and produce two real charged leptons which are detected.

Hope this helps

Likes 1 person
Thank you. I see that I need to do a bit of reading up on shell masses. Mrs Google here I come.

The on shell mass is what people usually understand by a particle's mass. The off shell mass may be different than the on shell mass.

Likes 1 person
Thank you to everybody who replied. My main question has been answered. The concept of shell masses is new to me.

1. What are W and Z particles?

W and Z particles are subatomic particles that carry the weak nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces in nature. They were first discovered in 1983 and are responsible for mediating interactions between subatomic particles.

2. How do W and Z particles conserve energy?

W and Z particles conserve energy through the process of particle interactions. When two particles interact, they can exchange a W or Z particle. This exchange conserves energy by ensuring that the total energy of the system remains constant before and after the interaction.

3. Why is energy conservation important for W and Z particles?

Energy conservation is important for W and Z particles because it is a fundamental principle of nature. In order for the laws of physics to hold true, energy must be conserved in all interactions. W and Z particles play a crucial role in mediating these interactions and ensuring that energy is conserved.

4. How do W and Z particles interact with other particles?

W and Z particles interact with other particles through the weak nuclear force. This force is responsible for radioactive decay and other subatomic processes. W and Z particles can also interact with each other, as well as with other fundamental particles such as quarks and leptons.

5. Can W and Z particles violate the law of conservation of energy?

No, W and Z particles cannot violate the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed or transferred. W and Z particles follow this law by exchanging energy with other particles in a way that ensures the total energy of the system remains constant.