Reinstalling Windows and Keeping Data Safe

In summary, the hard drive on one of the computers in the user's network died, so the user replaced it with a newer hard drive. Windows was installed on the old hard drive, so the user reinstalled Windows on the new hard drive without losing any data. The user is trying to figure out a way to keep all of the data from the old hard drive so that he can Frag the hard drive and re-install Windows properly.
Smurf
My hard drive died, luckily I have a second one (much younger and bigger), which I replaced it with, so now I only have 1 HD. Windows was installed on the HD that died, so now I've reinstalled it on my secondary, without fragmenting it. Thankfully most of my data on the secondary was saved.

Now I'm trying to figure out a way to keep all my data from my secondary HD so I can frag it and re-install windows again properly.
Any suggestions?

I'm on a network with at least 1 other computer with enough space to hold it, I'm going to ask the admin of that computer to allow me access as soon as she gets here.

Computer science news on Phys.org
How much data do you have? If you don't want to get another drive there are a few options:

1. Resize the partition and install windows on the empty space. If data is taking up too much room this won't work.
2. Burn the data onto CD-R with the help of a Knoppix cd.
3. Copy the data to another computer with the help of a Knoppix cd.

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=44

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say that your hard drive died exactly what do you mean? Did you try to hook up the one that "died" as a slave?

exequor said:
When you say that your hard drive died exactly what do you mean? Did you try to hook up the one that "died" as a slave?
I havn't tried that, would it make a difference? By died I mean in BIOS it showed it as undetected, I tried a bunch of stuff and it just doesn't want to work.

dduardo said:
1. Resize the partition and install windows on the empty space. If data is taking up too much room this won't work.
I hadn't thought of that, there should be enough room for it. I'm only somewhat familiar with partitioning drives, I'm using a WinXP professional CD, any thing in paticular I should do to ensure I don't lose my data accidently?
2. Burn the data onto CD-R with the help of a Knoppix cd.
3. Copy the data to another computer with the help of a Knoppix cd.
I've got 9mb of music I am not willing to let go at any cost, but would like to keep 20+ gb if possible. Knoppix website says it can hold up to 2gb? I don't have enough CDs. Admin to the other computer isn't back yet.

S'ok, I transferred it over to the other computer and it's all working out.
But if anyone else has some knowledge I'd like to hear it, for future reference.

1. Will reinstalling Windows delete all of my data?

No, reinstalling Windows will not delete all of your data. However, it is always recommended to back up your important files and documents before performing a reinstallation, as there is always a small risk of data loss.

2. How do I ensure my data is safe during the reinstallation process?

There are a few steps you can take to ensure your data is safe during a reinstallation. Firstly, make sure to back up all of your important files and documents before starting the reinstallation process. Additionally, you can also create a system image or use a third-party data backup software to save a copy of your entire hard drive. Finally, be sure to follow the correct steps during the reinstallation process to avoid any accidental data loss.

3. Can I reinstall Windows without losing my programs and settings?

Yes, it is possible to reinstall Windows without losing your programs and settings. This can be done by using the "Refresh" or "Reset" feature in Windows, which allows you to reinstall the operating system while keeping your personal files, settings, and some apps intact. However, it is always recommended to back up your important data before performing a reinstallation, as there is a chance that some personal settings or programs may still be lost.

4. Is it necessary to reinstall Windows regularly for the safety of my data?

No, it is not necessary to reinstall Windows regularly for the safety of your data. Reinstalling Windows should only be done if there is a specific issue with the operating system, such as a virus or software malfunction. Regularly backing up your data and keeping your antivirus software up-to-date is a more effective way to ensure the safety of your data.

5. Can I reinstall Windows without a reinstallation disc?

Yes, it is possible to reinstall Windows without a reinstallation disc. Many computers come with a recovery partition that allows you to reinstall the operating system without a disc. You can also create a bootable USB drive with the Windows installation files and use that to reinstall the operating system. However, it is always recommended to have a physical copy of the installation disc or USB drive in case of any technical issues during the reinstallation process.