Formal definition of set operations

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not all set operations on subsets of a set ##X## can be represented as maps ##\omega{}:(2^X)^n\rightarrow{}2^X##. The options proposed are that either union and complement are not functionally complete, only maps constructible using compositions of union and complement are defined set operations, or there are set operations that are not maps ##\omega{}:(2^X)^n\rightarrow{}2^X##. The question also asks for a formal definition of set operations.
V0ODO0CH1LD
Are set operations on a set ##X## defined as operations on ##2^X##? In other words a binary operation on ##X## is an operation ##\omega:2^X\times{}2^X\rightarrow{}2^x##?

Surely the basic set operations could be defined that way, but then some weird non-standard operation like ##\omega:\{a,b\}\times{}\{c,d\}\mapsto{}\{a\}## would also be "defined"..

I'm asking this question because I'm wondering if unions and complements, or intersections and complements, are "functionally complete". Can I express ALL definable n-ary set operation using just unions and complements? Like I can express all n-ary boolean functions using just disjunction and negation?

Because if that is the case, the σ-algebra on a set X would be like the subset of the power set of X that is closed under ANY set operation. Or is it that the σ-algebra on X is just the subset of the power set of X closed under enough set operations that allow for all the useful constructions on a σ-algebra to be defined?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all [itex]n[/itex]-ary set operations can be defined using just unions and complements (i.e. of the form [itex](A_1,...,A_n)\mapsto \phi(A_1,...,A_n),[/itex] where [itex]\phi[/itex] is some first order formula with [itex]n[/itex] free variables in the language [itex]\{\cup, (\cdot)^c\})[/itex]. In particular, any such operation will be permutation-invariant (which you can prove by induction on complexity). So an easy counterexample is as follows: Suppose [itex]|X|>1[/itex] and fix [itex]x\in X[/itex]. Then the unary operation [itex]A\mapsto \{x\}:2^X\to 2^X[/itex] isn't definable in the given language.

Also, a nitpicky point: the operation you gave isn't well-defined. Say [itex]X = \{6,7,8,9\}[/itex]... Would [itex]\omega(\{6,7\},\{8,9\})[/itex] be [itex]6[/itex]? Or is it [itex]7[/itex]?

economicsnerd said:
Not all [itex]n[/itex]-ary set operations can be defined using just unions and complements (i.e. of the form [itex](A_1,...,A_n)\mapsto \phi(A_1,...,A_n),[/itex] where [itex]\phi[/itex] is some first order formula with [itex]n[/itex] free variables in the language [itex]\{\cup, (\cdot)^c\})[/itex]. In particular, any such operation will be permutation-invariant (which you can prove by induction on complexity). So an easy counterexample is as follows: Suppose [itex]|X|>1[/itex] and fix [itex]x\in X[/itex]. Then the unary operation [itex]A\mapsto \{x\}:2^X\to 2^X[/itex] isn't definable in the given language.

Also, a nitpicky point: the operation you gave isn't well-defined. Say [itex]X = \{6,7,8,9\}[/itex]... Would [itex]\omega(\{6,7\},\{8,9\})[/itex] be [itex]6[/itex]? Or is it [itex]7[/itex]?

I realize that not all maps ##\omega{}:(2^X)^n\rightarrow{}2^X## can can be represented by compositions of the union and complement maps. I guess my point was whether or not ALL set operations on the subsets of some set ##X## are a map ##\omega{}:(2^X)^n\rightarrow{}2^X##.

The way I see it there are three options:
1. operations on subsets of a set ##X## are maps ##\omega{}:(2^X)^n\rightarrow{}2^X## and therefore union and complement are not functionally complete.
2. not every map ##\omega{}:(2^X)^n\rightarrow{}2^X## represents a set operation on subsets of a set ##X## (like the one I used as an example). Which is why I thought that union and complement might be functionally complete, because it could be the case that only the maps that are constructible using compositions of union and complement are defined set operations.
3. there are set operations that are not maps ##\omega{}:(2^X)^n\rightarrow{}2^X##. In which case my original question still stands. What is the formal definition of operations on sets?

Last edited:
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
I guess my point was whether or not ALL set operations on the subsets of some set ##X## are a map ##\omega{}:(2^X)^n\rightarrow{}2^X##.

How do you formally define a "set operation on the subsets of ##X##"?

economicsnerd said:
How do you formally define a "set operation on the subsets of ##X##"?

That was my question. I'm just phrasing it like "set operation on the subsets of ##X##" so that I can talk about ##2^X##. But I guess that if you had a definition for set operations in general it would follow from that.

1. What is the formal definition of a set?

A set is a well-defined collection of distinct objects, called elements, which are considered as a single entity. Sets can be described in various ways, such as listing all the elements, using set-builder notation, or using set notation.

2. What are the basic set operations?

The basic set operations are union, intersection, and complement. Union is the operation of combining two or more sets to create a new set that contains all the elements from the original sets. Intersection is the operation of finding the common elements between two or more sets. Complement is the operation of finding all the elements that are not in a given set.

3. How is the union of two sets defined?

The union of two sets A and B is denoted as A ∪ B and is defined as a set that contains all the elements that are in A or B or both. In other words, the union of two sets is a set that contains all the elements from both sets without any duplicates.

4. What is the definition of the intersection of two sets?

The intersection of two sets A and B is denoted as A ∩ B and is defined as a set that contains all the elements that are in both A and B. In other words, the intersection of two sets is a set that contains only the elements that are common to both sets.

5. How is the complement of a set defined?

The complement of a set A is denoted as A' and is defined as a set that contains all the elements that are not in A. In other words, the complement of a set is a set that contains all the elements from the universal set that are not in the given set.