Vector potential of a current carrying circular loop

In summary, the experts discuss the relationship between the vector potential A and the magnetic field B. They conclude that the Biot-Savart law shows that B is equal to the curl of A, and therefore, A being equal to 0 does not necessarily imply that B is also 0. Additionally, since A is only evaluated along a line, it is not enough information to calculate its curl. They also mention that the integral for calculating A would not always be 0 for points outside the z-axis.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Consider a circular loop of radius R that carrys a uniform current I. We know(by Biot-Savart law) that the magnetic field it produces on its axis is given by [itex] \vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0 I R^2 \hat z }{2(z^2+R^2)^\frac 3 2} [/itex].
But let's calculate its vector potential:
[itex]
\vec{A}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int \frac{I \vec{dl}}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{I R d\varphi \hat \varphi}{\sqrt{R^2+z^2}}=\frac{\mu_0 I R}{4\pi \sqrt{R^2+z^2}}\int_0^{2\pi} \hat \varphi d\varphi \\
[/itex]
But we have [itex] \hat \varphi=-\sin\varphi \hat x +\cos\varphi \hat y [/itex] and so [itex] \int_0 ^{2\pi} \hat\varphi d\varphi=0 [/itex] which gives [itex] \vec{A}=0 [/itex] and so [itex] \vec{B}=0 [/itex] !
What's wrong?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between A and B? Given that relationship, does A = 0 at a point imply B = 0 at that point?

DaleSpam said:
What is the relationship between A and B? Given that relationship, does A = 0 at a point imply B = 0 at that point?

[itex] \vec{B}=\vec\nabla \times \vec A [/itex] which gives B=0 for A=0. Gauge freedom can't help too(By definition).

Last edited:
Shyan said:
[itex] \vec{B}=\vec\nabla \times \vec A [/itex] which gives B=0 for A=0
No, it doesn't.

Remember, you have evaluated A only along a line. Is that enough information to calculate its curl?

DaleSpam said:
No, it doesn't.

Remember, you have evaluated A only along a line. Is that enough information to calculate its curl?

Oh God...yeah man!
Sorry...thanks

Well if i understand correctly you find the potential only along the z-axis. For a point outside the z-axis [itex]|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|[/itex] will depend on [itex]\varphi[/itex] as well so the integral wouldn't be always zero.

Yep, and unfortunately you are led to elliptic integrals :-(.

1. What is the definition of vector potential for a current carrying circular loop?

The vector potential for a current carrying circular loop is a mathematical quantity that represents the magnetic field generated by the loop. It is defined as the curl of the magnetic vector potential, which is a vector field that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic field at any given point in space.

2. How is the vector potential of a current carrying circular loop calculated?

The vector potential of a current carrying circular loop can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a particular point is directly proportional to the current passing through the loop and inversely proportional to the distance between the point and the loop.

3. What is the direction of the vector potential for a current carrying circular loop?

The direction of the vector potential for a current carrying circular loop is perpendicular to the plane of the loop and follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow in the loop, your fingers will curl in the direction of the vector potential.

4. How does the vector potential change with distance from the current carrying circular loop?

The vector potential decreases with distance from the current carrying circular loop. This is because the magnetic field strength decreases with distance, and the vector potential is directly proportional to the magnetic field. As you move further away from the loop, the magnetic field and vector potential become weaker.

5. What is the significance of the vector potential for a current carrying circular loop?

The vector potential is significant because it helps us understand and calculate the magnetic field around a current carrying circular loop. It is also important in the study of electromagnetism and plays a crucial role in many applications, such as motors, generators, and magnetic levitation systems.