PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, bloggers would be expected to write on a regular basis, but they don't have to write every day. If they demonstrate n00bage on a blog, that's okay.
Okay... I registered and logged in. But I don't know where to go. (I never blogged before.)
When I click on any link in the "Latest Activity" box, I get "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

Physics news on Phys.org
I will promote you to author in a few minutes. You can login at:https://www.physicsforums.com/blog/wp-admin

Last edited:
So how does the posting process work? I've never used WP, but it looks easy enough. Once something is written and saved as a draft, does it go into an approval queue to await blessing before being published? Should it be saved as private first? Does one need special author privileges to make a publishable post?

imabug said:
So how does the posting process work? I've never used WP, but it looks easy enough. Once something is written and saved as a draft, does it go into an approval queue to await blessing before being published? Should it be saved as private first? Does one need special author privileges to make a publishable post?

Yeah it gets sent to a moderation queue to be approved. Everyone that registers has the ability to post, but that doesn't mean we'll approve every post.

I'm glad someone mentioned the registration thing. I didn't even see that. Greg, if you want people to register there, especially while it's new and you want to boost registration, moving the registration link up near the top would make it more easily found/noticed (right now, I have to scroll down to even notice it's there), or maybe make it a different color so it stands out.

Also, now that I'm registered, can others view my profile? I don't know if that's for your information or if it will be publicly viewable somewhere. I don't see any place for people to view profiles, but if that's a feature somewhere, it's going to make a difference what I include or don't include there (i.e., I don't mind the admins contacting me by email, but I don't want every reader to have my email addy accessible; the way it's set up here that people can send an email if the member allows it but they don't actually see the address is the way I like it best).

Moonbear said:
Also, now that I'm registered, can others view my profile? I don't know if that's for your information or if it will be publicly viewable somewhere. I don't see any place for people to view profiles, but if that's a feature somewhere, it's going to make a difference what I include or don't include there (i.e., I don't mind the admins contacting me by email, but I don't want every reader to have my email addy accessible).

There are no profiles, no worries, only I can spam you :smile:

So... after writing, to submit... just save as Draft? or save as Private?
If a post is declined, is there any indication (other than it not showing up)?

Is there a manual?
(What's a discussion ping? What are these advanced options?)

Sorry about all the questions. This is all new to me.

robphy said:
So... after writing, to submit... just save as Draft? or save as Private?
If a post is declined, is there any indication (other than it not showing up)?

Is there a manual?
(What's a discussion ping? What are these advanced options?)

Sorry about all the questions. This is all new to me.

Save as draft, I check daily and will set posts to publish. No manual, just try things out, you did perfect in your first post :smile:

ps, we are seventh on good for "physics blog" already:
http://www.google.com/search?biw=1900&hl=en&q=physics+blog

Also don't forget we can use latex in the blog just like on the forums

Last edited:
Hello, I like the idea of the Blog and was wondering if it was okay to write Articles on Mathematics too.

So does the blog accept Articles on Mathematics too?

That's cool, great idea Greg!

zeronem said:
Hello, I like the idea of the Blog and was wondering if it was okay to write Articles on Mathematics too.

So does the blog accept Articles on Mathematics too?

Absolutely, the blog supports LaTeX too the same way on these forums.

On googling: physics blog or "physics blog"
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog/ now googles-in at number 3 (number 2, if you count webservers).

Last edited by a moderator:
robphy said:
On googling: physics blog or "physics blog"
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog/ now googles-in at number 3 (number 2, if you count webservers).

Slick!

Rob try googling "physics videos" and your post is on the first page and getting lots of hits! :smile:

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
... Again if you want to be a blogger let me know asap. ...

I would like to be a blogger, Greg. So I registered and am logged in.
What happens next?

marcus said:
I would like to be a blogger, Greg. So I registered and am logged in.
What happens next?

I promoted you to writer, I also sent you a PM.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I promoted you to writer, I also sent you a PM.

great. that was easy. thanks Greg!
having a blog connected to PF featuring its excellent science staff in several disciplines
(and non-staff others) seems like a good idea. looking forward to seeing
how it turns out. I hope it turns out to be not only popular on the web
with lively discussions but also to an appropriate degree focused, factual, referenced. regardless, however, it'll likely be fun.

I check the blog regularly btw, I think it's a great idea.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Absolutely, the blog supports LaTeX too the same way on these forums.

I think LaTeX is broken on the blog
...for example, the last sentence in https://www.physicsforums.com/blog/2005/09/26/58/

(I noticed this when I tried to use "[tex]\pi[/tex]" in the "Pi day" blog entry.)

robphy said:
I think LaTeX is broken on the blog
...for example, the last sentence in https://www.physicsforums.com/blog/2005/09/26/58/

(I noticed this when I tried to use "[tex]\pi[/tex]" in the "Pi day" blog entry.)

ok I'll look into it

Last edited:
Do you plan on including all the topics that are in PF, or just those directly related to science? I realize stuff like GD or PWA wouldn't work, but what about philosophy or social sciences?

It seems that I'm leaving my trail all over the 'net, sometime without knowing it.

Recently, someone brought to my attention that one of my posts here on PF became a blog entry:

http://pitofbabel.org/blog/?p=200

I certainly don't mind that at all since this person cited the source of the post. However, it would have been better if it appeared on our PF Blog itself. So Greg, my question here is, would you mind if some of our posts here on PF are copied to be a PF Blog entry? I can see a situation here where someone would ask why we would repeat the same thing that has appeared on PF itself.

But hey, if someone obviously thinks a post on PF can become a useful blog entry, then why not?

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It seems that I'm leaving my trail all over the 'net, sometime without knowing it.

Recently, someone brought to my attention that one of my posts here on PF became a blog entry:

http://pitofbabel.org/blog/?p=200

I certainly don't mind that at all since this person cited the source of the post. However, it would have been better if it appeared on our PF Blog itself. So Greg, my question here is, would you mind if some of our posts here on PF are copied to be a PF Blog entry? I can see a situation here where someone would ask why we would repeat the same thing that has appeared on PF itself.

But hey, if someone obviously thinks a post on PF can become a useful blog entry, then why not?

:)

Zz.

wow, your a popular man zz! I certainly would not have a problem transfering some posts into blog entries.

Last edited:
By the way, the blog seems to have a little problem (3/29, 1:34pm EST).

addlatex(/var/www/physicsforums.com/htdocs/www/blog/latexrender/latex.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/physicsf/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/latexrender-plugin.php on line 12

Warning: addlatex(): Failed opening '/var/www/physicsforums.com/htdocs/www/blog/latexrender/latex.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/physicsf/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/latexrender-plugin.php on line 12

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: latex_content() in /home/physicsf/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/latexrender-plugin.php on line 13

PF Blog (thanks in most part to robphy) is now the #1 Google hit for search phrase=
physics blog.

Gokul43201 said:
PF Blog (thanks in most part to robphy) is now the #1 Google hit for search phrase=
physics blog.
Luboš Motl's blog is #2. :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Right, but only staff and appointed members could post.

nvm didn't see the date of this post.

It seems that the PF Blog has a new look...
...although the I'm not sure I like "PF" instead of "PhysicsForums" in the graphical title.

One thing missing is the author-username of each blog-entry.

robphy said:
It seems that the PF Blog has a new look...
...although the I'm not sure I like "PF" instead of "PhysicsForums" in the graphical title.
Not particularly crazy about the new look.

One thing missing is the author-username of each blog-entry.
Yikes! That definitely needs fixing.