How can I refresh my knowledge of physics from the basics to advanced concepts?

• Thread starter Kristopher_Evans1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    scratch
In summary, a new member of a physics forum is seeking resources to reacquaint themselves with the subject after an extended absence. They are looking for suggestions on topics to study, including forces and energy, statics, rotational dynamics, and gravitational fields. Another forum member recommends starting with a Calculus text and provides a link to MIT's OpenCourseWare, which the original poster describes as "fabulous beyond anything [they] can express."
Kristopher_Evans1
I am a new member on these forums and my first post here concerns resources for reaccquainting myself with the wonderful world of physics. After an extended absence from this field, I am looking to re-immerse myself in all the subjects it has to offer, starting from the beginning. I am currently working at a Grade 11 Tertiary level and although much of what I study will be merely revision and/or irrelevant, I would like the opportunity to jump right in and ensure that I have re-covered all the basics and, later, the more intermediary and advanced concepts.

Would any of the other forum members have any suggestions as to the resources I could use to facilitate this progress? Here are the topics I am looking at studying, based on the curriculum provided by my high school:

Forces and Energy:
Forces and motion
Momentum
Newton's Laws
Conservation of momentum
Work, energy and power

Statics:
Equilibrium of forces
Moments
Centre of gravity
Friction

Rotational dynamics:
Uniform circular motion
Angular acceleration
Torque
Moment of inertia
Angular momentum

Gravitational fields:
Force and potential
Newton's Theory of gravitation
Satellite motion

Cheers,

Kristopher

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really wish to learn Physics the best place to start is in a Calculus text.

Last edited by a moderator:
That second link is unbelieveable.

That second link is fabulous beyond anything I can express. I have been watching Walter Lewin lectures recently, even on topics I already know about. He is amazing!

1. What does it mean to start again from scratch?

Starting again from scratch refers to starting over completely from the beginning, often with a clean slate or without any previous resources or progress.

2. Why would someone want to start again from scratch?

There are many reasons why someone may want to start again from scratch, such as wanting a fresh start, learning from past mistakes, or pursuing a new direction or goal.

3. What are some challenges of starting again from scratch?

Starting again from scratch can be challenging because it requires a lot of time, effort, and resources. Additionally, there may be emotional challenges, such as letting go of past work or facing uncertainty.

4. How can starting again from scratch be beneficial?

Starting again from scratch can be beneficial because it allows for a new perspective, the opportunity to improve upon previous work, and the chance to learn and grow.

5. What are some tips for starting again from scratch?

Some tips for starting again from scratch include setting clear goals, creating a plan, seeking support and guidance from others, and staying persistent and motivated.