Integration of odd power of cotangent multiplied by odd power of cosecant

In summary, you would integrate cosecant and cotangent using the same steps as you would integrate tan and secant.
gzAbc123

Homework Statement

Describe the strategy you would use to (integrate:
cot^m x)(csc^n x)dx, if m and n are odd.

Homework Equations

I know the integral of cosecant is ln |sec x + tan x| + C

I also know the integral of cotangent is ln |sinx| + C

But I have no clue how this would apply to odd powers and multiplying them together.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to multiply odd powers of sine and cosine, but for cosecant and cotangent, I have no clue where to get started. The question isn't asking me to actually integrate, but just to describe how I would integrate. Does this integration parallel the corresponding rules for odd powers and multiplication of tanx and secx? Help, please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't your book describe how to do this? thing of an identity that relates the two trig functions, also your not worried about the integral of them individually in this case you want to think about their deviates so you can use substitution...

Hey,
No my book only mentions how to solve this for two even-powered; and one odd and one even. It doesn't even give any hints about how to integrate when there are two odd-powered cosecant and cotangent functions being multiplied.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for the link :).

The only problem is not the Steven and Todd rule don't seem to apply for cosecant AND cotangent used in the same equation. Is it there somewhere?

gzAbc123 said:
Thanks for the link :).

The only problem is not the Steven and Todd rule don't seem to apply for cosecant AND cotangent used in the same equation. Is it there somewhere?

Did you see page 343 Problem #2?

gzAbc123 said:
Does this integration parallel the corresponding rules for odd powers and multiplication of tanx and secx?
More than just parallel; armed with the power of trig identities, you can make them the same problem.

It says pages 343-344 are not part of this book review... what the?

My bad. Pp. 323 #2

But isn't that question for tangent and secant?

Is it basically the same set of steps for cotangent or cosecant? Or is there a few steps that would needed to be added?

gzAbc123 said:
But isn't that question for tangent and secant?

Is it basically the same set of steps for cotangent or cosecant? Or is there a few steps that would needed to be added?

Honestly... it's the same steps. The only differences b/w cot and csc vs. tan and cot is that... the derivatives/anti derivatives must take into account the negative (-).

1. What is the formula for integration of odd power of cotangent multiplied by odd power of cosecant?

The formula for integration of odd power of cotangent multiplied by odd power of cosecant is: ∫ cotn(x) cscm(x) dx = -cscm+1(x) / (m+1) * cotn-1(x) + (n-1)/(m+1) * ∫ cotn-2(x) cscm+2(x) dx.

2. What is the general approach for solving integration problems involving odd powers of cotangent and cosecant?

The general approach for solving integration problems involving odd powers of cotangent and cosecant is to use the substitution method. This involves substituting the expressions for cotangent and cosecant in terms of sine and cosine, and then using trigonometric identities to simplify the resulting integral.

3. How do I determine the power of cotangent and cosecant when solving an integration problem?

The power of cotangent and cosecant can be determined by looking at the integral and identifying the highest power of cotangent and cosecant present. This will determine the number of times the integration by parts method will need to be applied.

4. Can the integration of odd powers of cotangent multiplied by odd powers of cosecant be solved using other methods?

Yes, other methods such as partial fractions and trigonometric substitutions can also be used to solve integration problems involving odd powers of cotangent and cosecant. However, the substitution method is the most commonly used and efficient approach for these types of integrals.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when solving integration problems involving odd powers of cotangent and cosecant?

Yes, there are some special cases and exceptions that may arise when solving integration problems involving odd powers of cotangent and cosecant. These can include indefinite integrals with negative powers, integrals involving trigonometric functions with different powers, and integrals with limits of integration outside of the domain of the trigonometric functions.