How can I prove that n/(n+1) = 1-[1/(n+1)]?

• Thread starter red_hockey
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the common example of n/(n+1) and how it can be simplified to 1 - [1/(n+1)]. The person is struggling to understand how to manipulate the first fraction to equal the second and is seeking guidance. Another person suggests working with the second fraction instead and using the common denominator method to prove the equivalence of the two fractions.
red_hockey
I am beginning to teach myself series/sequences but I keep running into issues getting started.

A common example I keep seeing is: n/(n+1)
This almost always gets set to: 1 - [1/(n+1)]

I have tried to work out the proof of this myself, but I can't seem to get the two to equal each other/manipulate the first to equal the second.

Could someone point me towards what i have to do to the first fraction? Should be an easy thing but I can't put my finger on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

write n/(n+1) as ((n+1)-1)/(n+1)

What do you see?

ooohhhhhhh
thanks a lot, very helpful, good hint.

red_hockey said:
I have tried to work out the proof of this myself, but I can't seem to get the two to equal each other/manipulate the first to equal the second.

Could someone point me towards what i have to do to the first fraction? Should be an easy thing but I can't put my finger on it.

The easier way of proving this would be to work with the second fraction, then hopefully come up with how you can reverse the procedure.
Why we want to work with the end result is because the first fraction is just one fraction, which means to get from

[tex]1-\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex] to [tex]\frac{n}{n+1}[/tex] we need to start by taking the common denominator, that is, putting the fraction all under the same denominator.

What is the formula for "So n/(n+1) = 1-[1/(n+1)]"?

The formula is used to represent a fraction in terms of the sum of two fractions. The numerator, n, is divided by the denominator, n+1, and the result is subtracted from 1 minus the reciprocal of the denominator.

How is the formula derived?

The formula can be derived using algebraic manipulation and the properties of fractions. It is often used in mathematical proofs and to simplify complex fractions.

What is the significance of the formula?

The formula has various applications in mathematics, including solving equations and proving mathematical theorems. It can also be used to simplify fractions and convert repeating decimals into fractions.

What values can n take in the formula?

The formula is valid for any real number n except for -1, as this would result in a division by 0. It is also not defined for any other values where the denominator would be 0.

Can the formula be used for all fractions?

No, the formula is specific to fractions in the form of n/(n+1). It cannot be used for fractions with different denominators, such as n/(n+2) or n/(2n+1).