Lithium Battery Life: High Setting, Cold Weather & Insulation

In summary: Lower temperature could mean higher resistance and thus lower voltage, making the device turn off earlier.In summary, the conversation is about a lithium battery pack for ski gloves that lasts for 2 hours on high, 4 hours on medium, and only 3 hours on low. The reason for the shorter battery life on high is due to the higher current being drawn. The cause of the shorter battery life on low is still unclear, but it could be due to incorrect wiring. It is suggested to do a test on each setting to determine the cause. The effect of cold weather on battery performance is also discussed, with the possibility of the batteries discharging quicker in the cold. Using extra insulation around the battery pack to keep it warm may improve battery
Johnny_B
I got a lithium battery pack for my ski glove. On high it last for 2 hour, 4 hours for medium but on low it only last 3 hours. Why does the battery not working long on high? Does the cold weather affect the batteries from operating at its peaks power. Would it be better if I use some type of extra insulation around the battery pack so the battery would be cold.

thanks for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi johnny
welcome to the forums :smile:

the battery doesn't last as long on high because more current is being drawn from it, that reduces its operating time before a recharge

not sure why it would operate for less time on low than on medium, unless it's already been used for a while on one of the other power settings ??

cheers
Dave

Johnny_B said:
I got a lithium battery pack for my ski glove. On high it last for 2 hour, 4 hours for medium but on low it only last 3 hours. Why does the battery not working long on high? Does the cold weather affect the batteries from operating at its peaks power. Would it be better if I use some type of extra insulation around the battery pack so the battery would be cold.
Hi Johnny_B! First, have you confirmed that the setting marked "LOW" is actually the lowest heat setting; maybe it is wrongly wired and is really the MEDIUM heat setting? :smile:

What I meant to ask is why is the batteries not lasting longer on low setting.

I will do a test on each setting today and post up some result so that you can see. Sent from my iPhone using Physics Forums

Johnny_B said:
What I meant to ask is why is the batteries not lasting longer on low setting.
Coincidently, that is the very conundrum I was addressing. :smile:

I will do a test on each setting today and post up some result so that you can see.
Good idea!

If the batteries are very cold (with "low" setting?), they can discharge quicker. On the other hand, this discharging should make them warmer, stopping the effect...

mfb said:
If the batteries are very cold (with "low" setting?), they can discharge quicker. On the other hand, this discharging should make them warmer, stopping the effect...
Are you talking about self-discharge? This over a period of months?

Self-discharge is not an issue within hours, but I think the internal resistance depends on the temperature, too.

1. How does high setting affect the life of a lithium battery?

High setting can significantly decrease the life of a lithium battery. This is because higher settings require more energy and put more strain on the battery, causing it to degrade faster. It is important to use the appropriate setting for your specific device to prolong the battery's life.

2. Can cold weather affect the life of a lithium battery?

Yes, cold weather can negatively impact the life of a lithium battery. Cold temperatures can cause the battery's chemical reactions to slow down, reducing its overall capacity and performance. It is recommended to keep lithium batteries at room temperature to maintain their efficiency.

3. How can insulation help prolong the life of a lithium battery?

Insulation can help protect a lithium battery from extreme temperatures, both hot and cold. By keeping the battery at a stable temperature, it can prevent degradation and prolong its life. It is especially important to insulate batteries in harsh environments or during transportation.

4. What is the average lifespan of a lithium battery?

The average lifespan of a lithium battery can vary depending on usage and conditions. Generally, a lithium battery can last anywhere from 2-3 years with regular use. However, proper care and maintenance can extend its lifespan beyond that.

5. Is it safe to leave a lithium battery on the charger for an extended period?

No, it is not safe to leave a lithium battery on the charger for an extended period. This can cause overcharging, which can lead to overheating and potentially damage the battery. It is best to unplug the charger once the battery is fully charged to prevent any potential hazards.