Register to reply

Lithium battery life.

by Johnny_B
Tags: battery, life, lithium
Share this thread:
Johnny_B
Jan30-14, 11:30 PM
P: 2
I got a lithium battery pack for my ski glove. On high it last for 2 hour, 4 hours for medium but on low it only last 3 hours. Why does the battery not working long on high? Does the cold weather affect the batteries from operating at its peaks power. Would it be better if I use some type of extra insulation around the battery pack so the battery would be cold.

thanks for the help.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
davenn
Jan31-14, 05:45 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,721
hi johnny
welcome to the forums

the battery doesnt last as long on high because more current is being drawn from it, that reduces its operating time before a recharge

not sure why it would operate for less time on low than on medium, unless it's already been used for a while on one of the other power settings ??

cheers
Dave
NascentOxygen
Jan31-14, 07:47 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,465
Quote Quote by Johnny_B View Post
I got a lithium battery pack for my ski glove. On high it last for 2 hour, 4 hours for medium but on low it only last 3 hours. Why does the battery not working long on high? Does the cold weather affect the batteries from operating at its peaks power. Would it be better if I use some type of extra insulation around the battery pack so the battery would be cold.
Hi Johnny_B! First, have you confirmed that the setting marked "LOW" is actually the lowest heat setting; maybe it is wrongly wired and is really the MEDIUM heat setting?

Johnny_B
Jan31-14, 08:58 AM
P: 2
Lithium battery life.

What I meant to ask is why is the batteries not lasting longer on low setting.

I will do a test on each setting today and post up some result so that ya can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Physics Forums
NascentOxygen
Jan31-14, 04:20 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by Johnny_B View Post
What I meant to ask is why is the batteries not lasting longer on low setting.
Coincidently, that is the very conundrum I was addressing.

I will do a test on each setting today and post up some result so that ya can see.
Good idea!
mfb
Jan31-14, 04:39 PM
Mentor
P: 12,037
If the batteries are very cold (with "low" setting?), they can discharge quicker. On the other hand, this discharging should make them warmer, stopping the effect...
NascentOxygen
Jan31-14, 05:50 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by mfb View Post
If the batteries are very cold (with "low" setting?), they can discharge quicker. On the other hand, this discharging should make them warmer, stopping the effect...
Are you talking about self-discharge? This over a period of months?
mfb
Feb1-14, 02:02 PM
Mentor
P: 12,037
Self-discharge is not an issue within hours, but I think the internal resistance depends on the temperature, too.

Register to reply