Prognosis of ecology as a hard science?

In summary: For example, the current debate about the risks of genetically modified crops is quite hard to follow if you don't have a strong background in mathematics.
Delong
Does anyone here consider ecology a hard science?

Biology news on Phys.org
To the extent that I agree with the hard/soft dichotomy (which isn't much) yes it is. Why do you think otherwise?

Also FYI: a prognosis is a prediction of the likely course a medical condition will take. It's use in the thread title is incorrect.

Ecosystems are pretty darn dynamic and complex. Lots of sophisticated modeling and analysis is done.

Likes 1 person
Ryan_m_b said:
To the extent that I agree with the hard/soft dichotomy (which isn't much) yes it is. Why do you think otherwise?

Also FYI: a prognosis is a prediction of the likely course a medical condition will take. It's use in the thread title is incorrect.

I agree that hard and soft is ultimately contrived, every science has a potential of being hard. It's just sometimes ecology has the impression of being soft and I'm wondering if there truly is more to the field. You do think it is hard? What areas are hardest?

Also thanks for correcting me on the word usage of prognosis.

I have worked some years with predator-prey dynamics of fish an it is damn hard :-) Just to give an example of a highly cited model for fish dynamics (perch in Swedish lakes):
http://129.199.13.40/IMG/file/DavidPDF/amnat2000.pdf
And this is just a single-species model. Extending this to several species and applying it to the real world is not very soft. Ör just go to the latest issue of the journal Ecology (http://www.esajournals.org/toc/ecol/95/2) and have a look at the titles (some of the papers are marked as open access, too). So I would say that ecology with few exceptions is a hard field in the sense of "being based on objectively recorded data". However, one might get a quite different impression if you just base your impression on what is written in the news.

What is the definition of ecology as a hard science?

Ecology is the scientific study of the relationships between living organisms, their physical environment, and the interactions between them. It is considered a hard science because it uses rigorous scientific methods, including experiments and statistical analysis, to study complex ecological systems.

How has ecology evolved into a hard science?

Ecology has evolved into a hard science due to advancements in technology and the development of new research methods. In the past, ecology was primarily a descriptive and observational science, but now it uses quantitative methods and advanced technologies such as GIS and remote sensing to gather and analyze data.

What are some key components of conducting ecological research as a hard science?

Some key components of conducting ecological research as a hard science include formulating testable hypotheses, designing controlled experiments, collecting and analyzing data using statistical methods, and publishing results in peer-reviewed journals.

What are some challenges of using ecological models as a hard science?

One of the challenges of using ecological models as a hard science is that they are based on simplifications of complex systems and may not accurately represent the real world. Additionally, ecological systems are dynamic and constantly changing, making it difficult to create accurate and predictive models.

How does the prognosis of ecology as a hard science impact society?

The prognosis of ecology as a hard science has a significant impact on society as it helps us understand and address environmental issues, such as climate change, loss of biodiversity, and pollution. By using scientific methods and data, ecologists can provide evidence-based solutions to these challenges, leading to more informed decision-making and better management of natural resources.