Cream on Top: Why is it So Much Denser than Milk?

• Thread starter vin300
  • Start date
In summary, cream is denser than milk because the fat in cream is less dense and will rise to the top when not agitated. However, cream must be churned to make butter, separating the denser butterfat from the less dense buttermilk.
vin300
Why is cream on the top being so much more dense than milk below?

Physics news on Phys.org
vin300 said:
Why is cream on the top being so much more dense than milk below?

Is it denser? It's more viscous, but that's not the same thing as being more dense.

I'm pretty sure it's denser. We make butter out of it.

Perhaps this article may clear up the confusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream

The fat in cream is less dense than the milk, therefore the cream will rise to the top of the milk if the container is not agitated.

Butter is not cream. Cream must be churned to turn it into butter. The churning separates the butterfat from the buttermilk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter

vin300 said:
I'm pretty sure it's denser. We make butter out of it.

Butter floats in water too.

1. Why does cream rise to the top of milk?

Cream contains a higher concentration of fat molecules compared to milk. When milk is left to sit, the fat molecules rise to the surface due to their lower density, creating a layer of cream on top.

2. Does the type of milk affect the density of cream on top?

Yes, the type of milk does affect the density of cream on top. Whole milk, which contains a higher percentage of fat, will have a thicker layer of cream compared to low-fat or skim milk.

3. Can the density of cream on top vary?

Yes, the density of cream on top can vary. Factors such as the freshness of the milk, the temperature at which it is stored, and the type of cow it came from can all affect the density of cream on top.

4. Is the cream on top safe to consume?

Yes, the cream on top is safe to consume. In fact, it is often considered a sign of freshness in milk. However, if the milk has been left out for too long, the cream may sour and become unsafe to consume.

5. How can I prevent the cream from rising to the top of my milk?

To prevent the cream from rising to the top, you can homogenize the milk. This process breaks down the fat molecules and distributes them evenly throughout the milk, preventing the formation of a cream layer on top.