Solving the Attenuation Problem with High-Pass 2nd Order

In summary, the problem is that the H(s) polynomial is not related to fs and fp, so you will need something more explicit to figure out what good values for fp and fs are.
EvLer
I am going blank here...

I have a high-pass 2nd order (butterworth) that has fc = 5500 kHz, fp = 7kHz and fs = 1kHz and asked for attenuation at fc and fp.

I end up with more loss on passband than on stop band! I am actually not sure how to approach this. Any help is very very much appreciated... :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the definitions for fc, fp and fs for a 2nd order Butterworth HP filter?

berkeman said:
What are the definitions for fc, fp and fs for a 2nd order Butterworth HP filter?
oh, sorry... H-P i mean is high-pass filter
fp is pass-band frequency
fs is stop-band
fc is the -3db frequency
second order Butterworth has this "normalized loss function":

H(s) = 1/{s^2 + sqrt(2)s + 1} (ps: sorry about the LaTex, where did they move tutorials !?)

basically, there's this thing about converting high-pass to low-pass, but before anything, the problem asks to find attenuation at fp and fs.
I think i get confused why/when i need to frequency scale.

Last edited:
EvLer said:
fp is pass-band frequency
fs is stop-band
fc is the -3db frequency
second order Butterworth has this "normalized loss function":

H(s) = 1/{s^2 + sqrt(2)s + 1}

basically, there's this thing about converting high-pass to low-pass, but before anything, the problem asks to find attenuation at fp and fs.
I think i get confused why/when i need to frequency scale.
It seems like fp and fs would be definition-dependent. There's no such thing as a "stop-band" or a "pass-band", it's all up to how you want to define them. Does your textbook offer any insights into what it wants? Are fs and fp defined in any way related to the H(s) polynomial? Butterworth filters are so rounded that you'll need something more explicit from somewhere to figure out what good values for fp and fs are, IMO.

1. What is the attenuation problem and why is it important to solve?

The attenuation problem refers to the decrease in signal strength that occurs when transmitting data over long distances or through materials that cause signal loss. This can result in poor quality or loss of data, which is especially problematic in fields such as telecommunications and data transmission. Solving the attenuation problem ensures that data can be transmitted accurately and efficiently.

2. How does a high-pass 2nd order filter help to solve the attenuation problem?

A high-pass 2nd order filter is designed to allow high-frequency signals to pass through while attenuating or blocking low-frequency signals. This is achieved by using a combination of resistors, capacitors, and inductors to create a frequency-dependent impedance. By selectively blocking low-frequency signals, the filter can help to mitigate the effects of attenuation and improve the overall quality of the transmitted signal.

3. What are the key components of a high-pass 2nd order filter?

A high-pass 2nd order filter typically consists of a combination of resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components work together to create a circuit that allows high-frequency signals to pass through while attenuating low-frequency signals. The specific values and configurations of these components can vary depending on the desired frequency response of the filter.

4. Are there any limitations to using a high-pass 2nd order filter to solve the attenuation problem?

While a high-pass 2nd order filter can be effective in mitigating the effects of attenuation, it is not a perfect solution. The filter may introduce some distortion or phase shifts to the transmitted signal, which can affect the overall quality. Additionally, the filter's effectiveness can also be limited by the specific characteristics of the signal being transmitted and the materials through which it is passing.

5. Are there other methods for solving the attenuation problem besides using a high-pass 2nd order filter?

Yes, there are other techniques and technologies that can be used to address the attenuation problem. These include methods such as signal amplification, equalization, and error correction coding. However, a high-pass 2nd order filter is a commonly used and effective approach for mitigating the effects of attenuation and is often used in conjunction with other methods to optimize signal transmission.