Total number of photons in universe

In summary, the number of photons in the universe is unknown, but can be calculated using Wien's radiation law. The number of photons per unit volume is also known, and can be found using thermodynamics. The size of the universe is also unknown, but can be estimated using energy and volume.
genius2687
I'm looking at a question to a practice exam. It states the following.

Imagine the universe is a spherical cavity at a temperature of 3K. Using this assumption, estimate the total number of photons in the universe.

Notes: integral[0->infinity,{x^2dx/(e^x-1)*dx}=2.4

black body energy density:

u = h_/(pi^2*c^3)*w^3/(e^((h_w/(kT))-1)

I need to find out the number of photons per unit volume (N/V). Once I have that, I can find what I'm looking for.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
genius2687 said:
I'm looking at a question to a practice exam. It states the following.

Imagine the universe is a spherical cavity at a temperature of 3K. Using this assumption, estimate the total number of photons in the universe.

Notes: integral[0->infinity,{x^2dx/(e^x-1)*dx}=2.4

black body energy density:

u = h_/(pi^2*c^3)*w^3/(e^((h_w/(kT))-1)

I need to find out the number of photons per unit volume (N/V). Once I have that, I can find what I'm looking for.

Any ideas on how to solve this?
Interesting problem.

Wien's radiation law will give you the energy density (energy / unit volume) for a given temperature in the interval [itex]\omega \rightarrow \omega + \delta\omega[/itex]. You should be able to determine from that the photon density. Then you have to estimate the size of the universe. Good luck!

AM

Any thermodynamics textbook will have the calculation for radiation from a black body. The calculation for # of photons will start in the same place; you should be able to see where the two separate.

edit: You already know the energy density. Think of that as (Energy per particle) x (# of particles). What's the energy of a photon with frequency w?

Last edited:
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I think that it is worth saying. In addition to the 'regular' photons, there are many more virtual photons. Virtual photons are real, just, by definition, don't have enough energy to be observable. These make up electromagnetic fields. Every electron, and negative charge spews out basically unlimited numbers of these photons.

Also, both quantum mechanics and now realitivity predict that space is full of nearly unlimited (the former) to at least some (later) energy, everywhere.

So if you don't know how to give them the answer that they want, just say its incalcuable for the reasons I have stated above.

What is the total number of photons in the universe?

The total number of photons in the universe is estimated to be around 10^78, which is an incredibly large number. This number is constantly changing as photons are constantly being created and destroyed in various processes.

How is the total number of photons in the universe calculated?

Scientists use various methods to estimate the total number of photons in the universe. These methods include measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, studying the light emitted from stars and galaxies, and using mathematical models to estimate the number of photons present in different regions of the universe.

Can we ever know the exact number of photons in the universe?

It is highly unlikely that we will ever know the exact number of photons in the universe. This is due to the fact that photons are constantly being created and destroyed, making it difficult to get an accurate count. Additionally, our current technology and understanding of the universe may not allow us to accurately measure such a large number.

How does the number of photons in the universe compare to other particles?

Photons make up a significant portion of the total number of particles in the universe. However, they are not the most abundant particle. The most abundant particle in the universe is the neutrino, which is estimated to be around 10^86. Photons are also outnumbered by protons, which are estimated to be around 10^80.

Are there regions of the universe with more photons than others?

Yes, the number of photons in different regions of the universe can vary. For example, the number of photons in a galaxy cluster is much higher than in the space between galaxies. This is due to the fact that galaxies contain many sources of light such as stars, while the space between galaxies is relatively dark. Additionally, the number of photons is higher in denser regions of the universe, such as in the cores of galaxies and in the early universe.