Troubleshooting Platinum & Iridium Loops: Reasons and Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of platinum-iridium loops breaking down after 3-4 sterilization cycles due to high temperature oxidation of grain boundaries. The experts suggest that the problem may be related to the alloy's composition and impurity levels, as well as the environment in which it is used. It is mentioned that Pt-15%Ir is a highly corrosion resistant alloy, but may still be susceptible to oxidation at high temperatures. More information is needed to accurately diagnose the issue and provide a solution.
wajdi
HI
I have loops made of 85% platinum and 15% iridium. It brokes down after 3 or 4 steralization cycles (by getting red on Bunsen Burner) please advice reason and solution
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
To diagnose a reason, if lucky, we would need more information. Can you specify the dimensions of the loops, the details of the heat treatment and the mode of failure? Also, the quality of the alloy is important - can you tell us the complete composition, including trace impurity levels?

As for providing a solution, we need to know what you are using the hoops for and why you are sterilizing them?

I've heard of Pt-Ir screens being used in rocket engine chambers where temperatures get to be close to 1000C. There's also one or two reports of embrittlement at high temperatures due to Group III impurities. I may have something bookmarked on my work computer.

The fracture could be due to embrittlement due to high temperature oxidation of the grain boundaries.

In rocket motors, the environment is likely oxidation deficient. In LOX/LH2 motors, the working fluid is usually slightly enriched in H2 to enhance specific impulse, Isp.

Astronuc said:
The fracture could be due to embrittlement due to high temperature oxidation of the grain boundaries.
"It has to be grain boundary embrittlement" (for brittle failure) - that was my first thought too.

In rocket motors, the environment is likely oxidation deficient. In LOX/LH2 motors, the working fluid is usually slightly enriched in H2 to enhance specific impulse, Isp.
I think the stuff I'd read was with hydrazine fuel engines - again a highly reducing atmosphere, that serves as an oxidation inhibitor. So again, I think you're right that it's probably oxidation related embrittlement. The reason I was a little wary to suggest oxidation is because of the nature of the alloy. Pt-15%Ir is probably the most corrosion resistant alloy there is. That's the reason the SI uses it as a Pt-Ir block as the standard measure of the kilogram (and until some years ago, used it as the standard measure of the meter as well).

(long time, no see, Astro - you been traveling?)

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
"It has to be grain boundary embrittlement" (for brittle failure) - that was my first thought too.
Oxygen attack on the grain boundaries is a notorious problem for refractory metals and alloys.

Gokul43201 said:
I think the stuff I'd read was with hydrazine fuel engines - again a highly reducing atmosphere, that serves as an oxidation inhibitor. So again, I think you're right that it's probably oxidation related embrittlement. The reason I was a little wary to suggest oxidation is because of the nature of the alloy. Pt-15%Ir is probably the most corrosion resistant alloy there is. That's the reason the SI uses it as a Pt-Ir block as the standard measure of the kilogram (and until some years ago, used it as the standard measure of the meter as well).
At room or low temperature, that is very true. At high temperature, oxidation of grain boundaries is a problem. Good point about the impurities. I hope you post whatever you have bookmarked on your computer.

Gokul43201 said:
(long time, no see, Astro - you been traveling?)
Yep.

Astronuc said:
I hope you post whatever you have bookmarked on your computer.
Can't find it Astro. Guess I didn't bookmark it after all. :frown:

1. What are Platinum and Iridium loops?

Platinum and Iridium loops are laboratory tools used to create small droplets of liquid for experiments. They consist of a thin wire made of platinum or iridium that is heated to create a small loop at the end.

2. What are the advantages of using Platinum and Iridium loops?

Platinum and Iridium loops are highly resistant to corrosion and can withstand high temperatures, making them ideal for use in experiments involving harsh chemicals or extreme heat. They also have a high melting point, allowing them to be used repeatedly without deforming.

3. How are Platinum and Iridium loops used in experiments?

Platinum and Iridium loops are used to transfer small amounts of liquid, such as bacterial cultures or chemical solutions, onto a microscope slide or petri dish for observation or analysis. They can also be used to pick up solid samples for analysis.

4. How do you clean Platinum and Iridium loops?

To clean Platinum and Iridium loops, they should be heated in a flame until they turn red-hot to burn off any residue or bacteria. They can also be soaked in a diluted acid solution and then rinsed with distilled water before being heated in a flame.

5. How long do Platinum and Iridium loops last?

The lifespan of Platinum and Iridium loops depends on how frequently they are used and how well they are maintained. With proper cleaning and care, they can last for several years. However, they may need to be replaced if they become damaged or corroded.