Coplanar vectors and linear dependance

In summary, coplanar vectors are vectors that lie on the same plane and can be drawn on a flat surface without intersecting each other. To determine if two vectors are coplanar, the cross product can be used. Linear dependence refers to a situation where one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors, and can be tested using methods such as the determinant method or Gaussian elimination. Understanding coplanar vectors and linear dependence is important in science as it helps us understand relationships between quantities and is used in various fields to solve problems and make predictions.
yourmom98
how do i prove vectors u v w are coplanar if and only if they are linearly dependent ? i have no idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
start by restating the def'n of coplanar and Lin.Dep, then apply Lin.Dep def'n to uvw

What are coplanar vectors?

Coplanar vectors are vectors that lie on the same plane. This means that they can be drawn on a flat surface without intersecting each other.

How can I determine if two vectors are coplanar?

To determine if two vectors are coplanar, you can use the cross product. If the cross product of the two vectors is equal to zero, then they are coplanar.

What is linear dependence?

Linear dependence refers to a situation where one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors. In other words, one vector can be written as a sum of multiples of other vectors.

How can I test for linear dependence?

To test for linear dependence, you can use the determinant method. If the determinant of the matrix formed by the vectors is equal to zero, then the vectors are linearly dependent. Another method is to use Gaussian elimination to see if one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the others.

Why is understanding coplanar vectors and linear dependence important in science?

Coplanar vectors and linear dependence are important concepts in science because they help us understand the relationships between different quantities and how they can affect each other. They are also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems and make predictions.