Rearranging Formula with t as Subject - Grace

• Thread starter physicsgirl_nz
  • Start date
In summary, this person was trying to work out how long it took for a ball bearing to fall from a table that was 80 cm high. They used LaTeX to do the calculation and found that it took 0.40 seconds.
physicsgirl_nz
Hey guys,

I'm new here and I need help on rearranging a formula so that t is the subject.

d = vit+1/2at*2

How do you use LAtex software?

thanks

Grace:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
A thread on LaTeX as it applies to physicsforums.com.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8997

After that, I just read through this little thing,

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf

and I was pretty much set.

That being said, onto your question. I assume you meant:

[tex]d = v_it + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex].

This is a quadratic equation in the variable t. Rewrite it this way:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}at^2 + v_it - d = 0[/tex]
which corresponds to, when compared to the general quadratic equation of the form
[tex]\alpha x^2 + \beta x + \gamma = 0[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{1}{2}a[/tex]
[tex]\beta = v_i[/tex]
[tex]\gamma = -d[/tex]
[tex]x = t[/tex]

which can be solved with:

[tex] x = \frac{-\beta \pm \sqrt{\beta^2 - 4\alpha\gamma}}{2\alpha}[/tex]

It was a good exercise in LaTeX! Now you try.

cookiemonster

Okay, the problem involving the formula was a ball bearing rolling off a table. The table was 80cm high. The ball bearing landed 64cm from the edge of the table and I have to work out how long it took to do so.

vi=0
a=-9.8ms-2
d=64cm
t=?

0-2.9-64/-9.8 = okay... the answer is meant to be 0.40 s

[?]

Average velocity equals half of terminal velocity

Originally posted by physicsgirl_nz
Okay, the problem involving the formula was a ball bearing rolling off a table. The table was 80cm high. The ball bearing landed 64cm from the edge of the table and I have to work out how long it took to do so.

vi=0
a=-9.8ms-2
d=64cm
t=?

0-2.9-64/-9.8 = okay... the answer is meant to be 0.40 s
If you're only looking for the answer of how long it took for the bearing to travel from the very edge of the table to the floor, then it seems to me that the 64cm horizontal-distance figure would be extraneous to the problem (distractor information).

Since average vertical speed over the course of the fall is going to be half of the terminal speed (assuming constant downward acceleration), and the speed at any given moment is 9.8 m/s * the number of seconds travelled...
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/1DKin/U1L5b.html

...we can easily check the 0.40 s answer you came up with.

In .4 s, the bearing would have reached a terminal downward speed of .4 * 9.8 m/s = 3.92 m/s.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=.4+*+9.8+m/s

The average downward speed over that .4 s would be half of the terminal speed (since the acceleration was constant). .5 * 3.92 m/s = 1.96 m/s. Taking that average speed of 1.96 m/s and multiplying by .4 seconds gives us .4 * 1.96 = a distance fallen of 0.784 meters (78.4 centimeters).

Since the problem stated that the vertical distance fallen was .80 meters (80 centimeters), your answer of 0.40 s is pretty close.

-Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys:smile:

1. How do I rearrange the formula if t is the subject?

To rearrange the formula with t as the subject, we need to isolate t on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to move all other terms to the other side of the equation. The final step is to divide both sides by the coefficient of t to get the value of t.

2. Can I rearrange the formula with t as the subject if there are multiple variables?

Yes, you can still rearrange the formula with t as the subject even if there are multiple variables. The key is to identify which terms contain t and which do not. Use inverse operations to move all terms without t to the other side of the equation, then divide both sides by the coefficient of t to isolate t on one side.

3. Is it possible to rearrange the formula with t as the subject if there are exponents involved?

Yes, you can rearrange the formula with t as the subject even if there are exponents involved. Use inverse operations to move all terms without t to the other side of the equation, then use the inverse of the exponent (e.g. square root, cube root) to eliminate the exponent on the t term. Finally, divide both sides by the coefficient of t to get the value of t.

4. What should I do if there are fractions in the formula when rearranging with t as the subject?

If there are fractions involved, it is recommended to get rid of them before rearranging the formula with t as the subject. To do this, multiply both sides of the equation by the lowest common denominator (LCD) to eliminate the fractions. Then, follow the usual steps of using inverse operations and dividing by the coefficient of t to isolate t on one side.

5. Can I use the same steps to rearrange any formula with t as the subject?

Yes, the steps for rearranging a formula with t as the subject remain the same regardless of the specific formula. However, it is important to pay attention to the coefficients, exponents, and any other special factors that may require additional steps or adjustments in the process.