Understanding Omega: Baryons, Leptons, Photons and More

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of Omega, which is the sum of all matter, dark matter, and dark energy in the universe. This ratio is important because it determines if the universe will continue to expand forever or eventually collapse. The conversation also touched on the role of photons in determining Omega and how they become less significant as the universe expands. The ratios of Omega for matter and dark energy can change over time, but the sum will remain close to 1. The conversation also delved into the dominance of different forms of energy at different points in the universe's history.
blumfeld0
This question concerns Omega(matter+dark+lambda).
We take into account protons(baryons), electrons(leptons), neutrinos, pions, etc etc when trying to determine Omega from the CMB. but what about photons? I mean there are A LOT more photons than baryons. All those photons carry energy, shouldn't that be taken into account somehow when measuring Omega? are they? perhaps the lambda portion atleast?
i think i have some fundamental misunderstading here.

thanks

Space news on Phys.org
Yes, we do need to take into account photons. However, at the current epoch of the universe, they don't contribute very much to Omega, because the universe is matter dominated.

Even as early as recombination at z=1100, the effect of photons is small enough that it is usually ignored in cosmological calculators (for instance Ned Wright's distance calculator doesn't include radiation terms).

However, if you go back far enough in time, photons (or more generally, radiation) are the dominant factor in omega. This is in the so-called "radiation dominated era".

Google for "radiation dominated era", for example http://www.cambridge.org/resources/0521546230/575_p267-268.pdf

I recall Space Tiger saying that in terms of energy density, the CMB is currently the dominant form of energy in the universe. It's not very large, but it's everywhere, while light from suns (for instance) is only found inside galaxies and is not present in intergalactic space.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=718801

I believe ST has given references for this statement in another post, but I couldn't find it

Yes. thank you very much.
which leads to my next question inspired by your statement that
"However, at the current epoch of the universe, they don't contribute very much to Omega, because the universe is matter dominated."

It is the sum of all Omega's(matter/darkmatter/lambda) that cosmologists are trying to determine is equal to, greater than or less than one. But Omega is the ratio of density now over the critical density where the critical density is a function of Hubble's "constant" which itself is a function of time.
density critical ~ H(t)^2.
So my question is assuming the Omega matter = .3 and omega lamba =.7 today so the sum = 1(approximately), that does not mean that Omega matter = .3 and omega lamba =.7, say, 5 billion years ago? correct?
but the sum did equal 1 (approximately)? is that right? if so, why would the sum be the same but the ratios different?
i guess maybe I would understand this if i understood the graph on page 51 of this paper better?

http://panisse.lbl.gov/public/papers/conley06/cmagic_cosmology.pdf

thank you in advance for your help.

pervect said:
the universe is matter dominated. [...] the CMB is currently the dominant form of energy in the universe.

Isn't that contradictory? Do you mean that on large scales CMB is the dominant form of radiation?

Last edited:
Isn't the dominant form of energy ( density) dark energy, the energy associated with empty space?

blumfeld0 said:
So my question is assuming the Omega matter = .3 and omega lamba =.7 today so the sum = 1(approximately), that does not mean that Omega matter = .3 and omega lamba =.7, say, 5 billion years ago? correct?

Yes this is correct. Different forms of energy evolve differently as the Universe expands. Matter energy density for instance goes as the inverse cube of the scale factor, or equivalently, with the inverse of volume. So you double the volume you halve the energy density, makes sense.

For photons, they get the inverse cube for the same reasons as matter, but they also lose energy as the Universe expands, going as the inverse of the scale factor this means that as the universe expands radiation density drops faster than matter. Hence in the past radiation was dominant but the energy density in radiation dropped faster than matter, leading to a matter dominated era.

The cosmological constant is different again. The energy density actually stays constant (hence the name) so as the Universe expands further and the matter density drops eventually Lambda becomes dominant.

1. What is Omega in relation to particle physics?

Omega is a term used in particle physics to describe the ratio of the total mass of the universe to the critical density. It is represented by the Greek letter Ω and is used to understand the composition and evolution of the universe.

2. What are baryons, leptons, and photons?

Baryons are particles made up of three quarks, such as protons and neutrons. Leptons are particles that do not interact with the strong nuclear force, such as electrons and neutrinos. Photons are particles of light and carry the electromagnetic force.

3. How are baryons, leptons, and photons related to Omega?

In the standard model of particle physics, baryons, leptons, and photons are all types of particles that make up the universe. The amount of each type of particle present in the universe affects the value of Omega, which in turn helps us understand the overall composition of the universe.

4. How is Omega calculated?

Omega is calculated using the formula Ω = ρ/ρc, where ρ is the total mass density of the universe and ρc is the critical density. The critical density is the amount of mass per unit volume needed for the universe to be flat, meaning it will continue to expand at a constant rate.

5. What is the significance of understanding Omega in particle physics?

Understanding Omega is crucial in helping us understand the history and evolution of the universe. It allows us to study the distribution of matter and energy in the universe and how it has changed over time. It also helps us test and validate theories of the universe's origin and expansion, such as the Big Bang theory.