IP Tracking: Find People's Names & Locations from IPs

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to find out personal information about someone, specifically their name and location, based on their IP address. The options mentioned include using a website called samspade.org, doing an IP whois, and using coding language to block the person's IP from visiting a website. The conversation also mentions the potential consequences of someone spamming a website and the importance of protecting oneself online.
Dagenais
Is there software out on the net in which I can find out a person's name, location etc. from their IP?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Who're you trying to kill? I'm sure you could find somebody to do it full-service for you, for a price of course. But at least you'd save yourself the trouble of all this work!

cookiemonster

Actually, it was this person that was abusing me. I had trouble with him awhile ago.

After he spammed my website, which was dumb since I had a sitemeter that told me his ISP, he spammed my guestbook...which told me his IP address.

He knows my full name (which determines race), and age. That's it. I have a very common full name though. I think, there are millions with my name.

Anyways, I'd just like to know a bit about him, to protect myself. I banned him from my site anyways.

Try http://samspade.org/
While it won't tell you his name. You can do an IP whois that would tell you his location, the location of his ISP, an abuse e-mail to report him amongst other things. traceroute, etc..

I doubt the ISP would do something about a paying customer spamming a message board, but it's worth the shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
depending on what language your site is coded in you can get the ip of someone (that is if you are using php, asp, etc). then you can do a whois as The Professional said and backtrace the persons ip. with the same coding language you can effectively block the person's ip from visiting your site (this is the foundation of bans list).

What is IP tracking and how does it work?

IP tracking is the process of identifying the physical location and name of a person using their IP address. IP addresses are unique numerical labels assigned to devices connected to a network, and they can be used to determine the geographical location of the device. This is done by using databases that map IP addresses to specific geographic locations.

Is IP tracking legal?

IP tracking is legal as long as it is done for legitimate purposes and adheres to privacy laws. It is commonly used by law enforcement agencies to track criminals and by businesses to prevent fraud and protect their networks. However, it is important to use caution when conducting IP tracking and ensure that all laws and regulations are followed.

Can IP tracking be used to identify individual users?

IP tracking can provide information about the location and name associated with an IP address, but it does not necessarily identify individual users. Multiple users can share the same IP address, such as in the case of a household or office. In addition, IP addresses can change based on network settings or location, making it difficult to reliably identify individual users.

Are there any limitations to IP tracking?

IP tracking is not always accurate and can have limitations. For example, it may not be able to pinpoint the exact location of a device, and it may provide incorrect information if the IP address is dynamic or if the device is using a virtual private network (VPN) or proxy server. Additionally, IP tracking may not be possible if the IP address is hidden or masked.

What are the potential privacy concerns of IP tracking?

IP tracking raises privacy concerns as it can reveal personal information, such as someone's location and name, without their knowledge or consent. It is important for individuals and organizations to be aware of the potential privacy implications and take necessary precautions to protect their information. In some cases, it may be necessary to obtain consent or a court order before conducting IP tracking.