Integration with respect to a higher power

In summary, the conversation was about solving the integral \int {x^2 ,d(x^4)} by using the substitution method. The person asking for help initially tried following the working from a previous problem but got the incorrect answer. With the help of others, they were able to correct their mistake and solve the integral by substituting u=x^4. The correct solution is \frac{2x^6}{3} + C.
steven10137

Homework Statement

[tex]
\int {x^2 ,d(x^4)}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

as a starter; the previous problem was:
[tex]
\int {x^2 ,d(x^2)}
[/tex]

and I managed to solve this by letting u=x^2 then integrating u:

[tex]
\int {u}
[/tex]

=[tex]
\frac{x^4}{2}+C
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

can someone please explain the theory behind this?
my textbook gives no explanation and i don't really know what I am looking for...
I tried following the working from the previous problem through, but got (x^6)/3 when the answer was supposed to be 2(x^6)/3

thanks in advance
Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
In the previous problem, you made the differential to du. That is an interesting tactic for this problem too..

so I am on the right track i take it?
If so;
[tex]\int {x^2 d(x^4)} = \int {u^2 d(u)}[/tex]
am I correct?

Not quite. If

[tex]u = x^4[/tex]

then

[tex]x^2 = ?[/tex]

dx^4/dx=4x^3
dx^4=4x^3dx

In general,
[tex]\int f(x)dg(x)= \int f(x) \frac{dg}{dx} dx[/tex]

thankyou all for your help, I understand it now :)
[tex] dx^4 = 4x^3 dx [/tex]
therefore
[tex] \int {x^2 dx^4} [/tex]
[tex]= \int {x^2 4x^3 dx}[/tex]
[tex]= 4 \int {x^2 x^3 dx}[/tex]
[tex]= 4 \int {x^5 dx}[/tex]
[tex]= 4 \frac {x^6}{6} + C[/tex]
[tex]= \frac {2x^6}{3} + C[/tex]

cheers
Steven

1. What is integration with respect to a higher power?

Integration with respect to a higher power refers to the mathematical process of finding an antiderivative (or indefinite integral) of a function raised to a power. This type of integration is commonly used in calculus and involves finding the original function from its derivative.

2. How is integration with respect to a higher power different from regular integration?

The main difference between integration with respect to a higher power and regular integration is that in the former, the function being integrated is raised to a power instead of being a simple polynomial or trigonometric function. This makes the process more complex and often requires the use of special integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What are some common examples of integration with respect to a higher power?

Some common examples of integration with respect to a higher power include finding the integral of x^n, sin^n(x), cos^n(x), and e^x^n. These functions are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve higher-level mathematics.

4. Why is integration with respect to a higher power important?

Integration with respect to a higher power is important because it allows us to calculate the area under a curve when the function being integrated is raised to a power. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating work done by a varying force or finding the probability of an event occurring in a continuous distribution.

5. What are some tips for solving integrals with respect to a higher power?

Some tips for solving integrals with respect to a higher power include using known integration rules and techniques, such as the power rule, trigonometric identities, and substitution. It is also important to carefully evaluate limits of integration and use algebraic manipulation to simplify the integral before attempting to solve it.