Turning a Swivel Chair: Physics Explained

• Thread starter lets_resonate
  • Start date
In summary, the method for rotating a swivel chair without touching anything involves utilizing the conservation of angular momentum and energy. By moving your arms in a circular path, the energy exerted will cause the chair to rotate in the opposite direction. This phenomenon is due to the forces of friction and the locked axis of motion. The more you turn, the harder it becomes due to the force of friction and the chair's resistance. The chair does not have a memory or conscience, but rather the floor may be uneven or the person's body position may affect the rotation.
lets_resonate
Hello,

I have a beginners question about physics. Let's say that you are sitting in one of those swivel chairs - one that can rotate back and forth (about the z-axis). And let's also say that you are sitting in the middle of the room, just out of reach of anything that you can grab on to. Your feet are on the chair, not touching the floor.

Your goal is to turn around in this chair. My inborn sense of physics tells me that in order to accomplish that, I should hold my arms outward and to swing them in the direction opposite of which I want to turn toward.

Question 1: What concept of physics explains the reason why this method works? (I studied first-year physics, so I should probably realize the concept if you name it).

Question 2: I noticed that the further I try turn, the more difficult it gets. In fact, if I rotate 180 degrees and sit still for a while, and then try to turn another 180 degrees in the same direction, the chair will resist. It's almost as if the chair remembers my state of motion. As if the chair has a memory and a conscience... . Can anyone save my sanity before it's too late by explaining this phenomenon?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you're asking that, if you're sitting in a swivel chair, if it is possible to make the chair rotate without touching anything.

If we simplify the experiment to a frictionless environment with no air resistance, then the only way to rotate the chair would be to start rotating your body in the opposite way you want the chair to go.

Because we are working in an environment where friction comes into play, this is not necessarily the case. If you jolt your body in one direction, you can make the chair move the opposite way (due to conservation of angular momentum), and then slowly move your body back to its original position while the static force of friction is not reached (the force required to start the chair into motion).

About the chair "remembering" its previous positions, I think you just have a lopsided floor or something. :P

A way I can think of in my head to do this (hold on let me try in my cubicle...)yes! conservation of angular momentum/energy, holds, what you do:

sit in chair, put both arms out to your right
sweep them in from of you at a good pace till they go straight out left. Then stop. Take your arms and lift them over your head till they stick out to the right, and repeat.

Basically, your energy in moving your arms in a circular path will try to move your body/chair in the opposite direction. The same principle applies when you lift them over your head, but that axis of motion is locked by the wheels not being able to rotate into the floor, so nothing moves.

1. How does turning a swivel chair work?

When you turn a swivel chair, you are applying a force to the chair's base, causing it to rotate. This rotation is possible due to the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which states that an object will maintain its rotational motion unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Why does a swivel chair keep spinning after you stop pushing it?

As mentioned before, the principle of conservation of angular momentum explains this phenomenon. The initial force you applied to the chair caused it to start rotating, and since there is no friction or other external forces acting on the chair, it will continue to spin at a constant speed.

3. Can you change the direction of a swivel chair's rotation?

Yes, you can change the direction of a swivel chair's rotation by applying a force in the opposite direction. This will cause the chair to slow down and eventually stop spinning in one direction and start spinning in the other.

4. Why do some swivel chairs spin more easily than others?

The ease of spinning a swivel chair depends on several factors, such as the quality and type of bearings used in the chair's base, the weight and distribution of weight in the chair, and the surface it is sitting on. Chairs with better bearings and lower weight will typically spin more easily.

5. Are there any safety concerns when turning a swivel chair?

While turning a swivel chair may seem harmless, there are some safety concerns to keep in mind. It is essential to ensure that the chair is on a stable surface and that there are no obstacles in the way to avoid accidents. Also, be careful not to apply too much force, as this can cause the chair to spin out of control and potentially lead to injuries.