Finding out how many electrons have passed a point in the circuit

In summary, the homework statement is to calculate the charge which has passed through a point in a circuit when there is a current of 6.3kA for 58 minutes.
mandos

Homework Statement

Calculate the charge which has passed through a point in a circuit when there is a current of 6.3kA for 58 minutes. Calculate the number of electrons passing a point in the circuit.

How to work out the part in blue.

Homework Equations

We're told the charge of one electon is "e = -1.6 x 10^-19 C"

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = I x t

t = 58min = 3480 seconds.
I = 6.3 x 10^3

3480 x 6.3 x 10^3 = 2.2 x 10^7 (rounded up a bit as my college teacher told me to do).

But it's the part in blue I get stuck on. I actually already know the answer (also rounded up slightly I believe) is 1.4*10^26 but it's how I get to that answer using the information "e = -1.6 x 10^-19 C" and "Q = 22 x 10^7"

If someone could show me how to do it, so I can then practice doing so on the other questions I've got and learn it properly. Also, apologies if this is a really moronic question for some of you, browsing around you all seem to be quite intelligent ^^;

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the total charge... 2.2*10^7C... and divide by charge/electron = 1.6*10^-19C/electron. That gives you the number of electrons.

2.2*10^7 / 1.6*10^-19 gives me 1.375^-12

I can see that 1.375 is rounded up to 1.4 but the power is still -12 and the answer the college teacher has given us is 1.4*10^26

Last edited:
mandos said:
2.2*10^7 / 1.6*10^-19 gives me 1.375^-12

I can see that 1.375 is rounded up to 1.4 but the power is still -12 and the answer the college teacher has given us is 1.4*10^26

The exponent is 1.6*10^-19. not +19.

I made it from negative nineteen to positive nineteen and got the right answer she said we should get.

So did she make a typo with multiply ten to the power negative nineteen?

Last edited:
mandos said:
I made it from negative nineteen to positive nineteen and got the right answer she said we should get.

So did she make a typo with multiply ten to the power negative nineteen?

No 1.6*10^-19 is right.

[tex]\frac{(2.2*10^7)}{(1.6*10^{-19})}[/tex] should give you 1.375*10^26.

Did you divide correcty?

I'm either incredibly stupid or my calculator is playing mind games.

I'm inclined to believe it's the first one.

Thanks for all your help learningphysics. I've finally got it.

mandos said:
I'm either incredibly stupid or my calculator is playing mind games.

I'm inclined to believe it's the first one.

Thanks for all your help learningphysics. I've finally got it.

:wink: No prob. happens to all of us.

What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle with a negative charge. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up an atom.

How do you measure the number of electrons that have passed through a point in a circuit?

The number of electrons that have passed through a point in a circuit can be measured using an ammeter, which measures the flow of electric current. The ammeter provides a reading in units of amperes (A), which is a measure of the number of electrons passing through a point per second.

Why is it important to know the number of electrons passing through a circuit?

Knowing the number of electrons passing through a circuit is important for understanding and analyzing the behavior of electric current. It can also help with troubleshooting and identifying any issues or malfunctions in the circuit.

What affects the number of electrons passing through a circuit?

The number of electrons passing through a circuit is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material the circuit is made of. Higher voltage and lower resistance will result in more electrons passing through the circuit.

Can the number of electrons passing through a circuit change over time?

Yes, the number of electrons passing through a circuit can change over time. This can occur due to changes in the electrical load, external factors such as temperature, or changes in the power source. It is important to regularly monitor the number of electrons passing through a circuit to ensure it is functioning properly.