Install MikTex first before you install texmaker or texniccenter

• Thread starter Firepanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    install
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of compiling LaTeX documents in Texmaker and the importance of setting the correct paths for the related commands. It is recommended to install MikTex before Texmaker or Texniccenter, as it will automatically detect the LaTeX distribution and set the proper paths. If not, the paths can be set manually or the document can be compiled through a command line console. The conversation also mentions the option of switching to Linux as an alternative.
Firepanda
Nevermind, Got the hang of it now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did some research and found this:

'Texmaker can't compile yours documents if the paths to the LaTeX related commands are wrong.'

From http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/doc.html#SECTION01

I get stuck at the first hurdle (again), but where do i set the path for the file 'Latex'? Isn't latex a file of 5 programs? Do i need to set the path to a file with all the programs in?

It's all too confusing.

install MikTex first before you install texmaker or texniccenter, then the program should automatically detect your latex distro and set the proper paths to build the document.

If not, you have to set them mannually, however, you can still compile the latex documents in a command line console, Win Key + R to open up Run dialogue, then type in "cmd", find your saved file, note that this file can be in any directory, ending in .tex, then type "latex filename.tex", you should see a bunch of messages popping out, and ending up with 3 files- filename.dvi, filename.aux, filename.log, the .aux and .log are misc information during the compilation, the .dvi file is the output, you can now open it with any dvi viewer, i think the default one with MikTex is yap, so try "yap filename.dvi", if not, go to an explorer gui interface and double click the filename.

All aside, i recommend you reinstalling texmaker and texnic center, it'll probably be easier.

Or you could switch to linux :P

you are welcome. TeX is awesome :P

1. Why do I need to install MikTex before installing texmaker or texniccenter?

MikTex is a typesetting system that provides the necessary tools and packages for creating and compiling LaTeX documents. Texmaker and texniccenter are editors that allow you to write and edit your LaTeX code. Hence, MikTex needs to be installed first so that texmaker or texniccenter can access its resources and functions.

2. Can I install texmaker or texniccenter before MikTex?

No, it is not recommended to install texmaker or texniccenter before MikTex. As mentioned earlier, these editors require MikTex to function properly. Installing them first may cause errors and compatibility issues.

3. Do I need to install MikTex if I already have texmaker or texniccenter?

Yes, it is still necessary to install MikTex even if you already have texmaker or texniccenter. As a typesetting system, MikTex provides the essential packages and tools needed for LaTeX document preparation. Texmaker and texniccenter are just editors and do not have these resources on their own.

4. Can I install MikTex and texmaker or texniccenter on different drives?

Yes, you can install MikTex and texmaker or texniccenter on different drives. However, it is recommended to install them on the same drive for easier access and to avoid any potential issues with file paths.

5. Is MikTex compatible with all operating systems?

Yes, MikTex is compatible with most operating systems, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. However, some features may vary depending on the operating system. It is best to check the system requirements before downloading and installing MikTex.