Just a random question about asystole and CPR

• Medical
  • Thread starter Invictious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of medical dramas in portraying CPR and its effects on monitoring devices such as the pulse oximeter and ECG. It is clarified that the pulse monitor measures oxygen saturation while the ECG measures electrical impulses. It is also mentioned that compressions can cause electrical impulses and that defibrillation can restart the heart.
Invictious
Many of use have watched medical drama (the Great White Tower, House, Gray's Anatomy [bad bad bad medicine] etc).

Obviously here are patients who go into asystole, then people perform CPR.
(ignoring the fact that most in most TV movies or series, people can regain consciousness ALL the time)

When performing CPR on a patient in asystole, will it show on the Pulse Monitor (or whatever is it, that shows your heart pumping (ECG??)?
Like when you compress, will the ECG show a spike, or will it still keep a flatline?
My first thought is that it won't show any 'spikes' because the ECG measures electronic signals?

Biology news on Phys.org
There are actually two completely different devices that you mention in your post. One is the pulse monitor. Typically this is attached to a fingertip and it shines a light through the finger to determine when the finger fills with blood. This measures an optical effect and not an electrical effect. It will show pulses with cardiac compressions if you can get good enough compressions.

The other device is the ECG. This is attached to three or more electrodes placed on the chest. This device measures an electrical effect. Since there is no electrical activity (or uncoordinated electrical activity) it will not measure the normal cardiac cycle. If it does start measuring electrical activity you better stop compressions right away because you don't want to squeeze a beating heart (Unless you are a witch-doctor in Indiana Jone's: Temple of Doom).

Thanks for your post, DaleSpam.
True that I got both of the machines mixed up, I forgot what I learned about those last year.

Actually, I believe the device on the finger is called a pulse oximeter and it measures the percentage of oxygen saturation in the blood. The ECG (EKG) will spike during external cardiac compression. Watching the monitor during CPR shows us the effectives of our compressions.

Last edited:
Tsu said:
Actually, I believe the device on the finger is called a pulse oximeter and it measures the percentage of oxygen saturation in the blood. The ECG (EKG) will spike during external cardiac compression. Watching the monitor during CPR shows us the effectives of our compressions.

opps. sorry. that would be 'effectivness'. :redface:

Doesn't the ECG measure the electrical impulse? Maybe I should do some research on it. it's just a curious question in life I want to know

Invictious said:
Doesn't the ECG measure the electrical impulse? Maybe I should do some research on it. it's just a curious question in life I want to know

Yes, it does measure the electrical impulse. However, when you are giving compressions you are actually causing electrical impulses with each downward stroke.

I've always thought it measured the electric impulses from your brain, telling your heart bo beat?
Wow, I guess we all learn something new everyday.

What about defillibration? What will happen to the reading, both the pulse oximeter or the ECG?

Pressing on any muscle will discharge some of its electricity, so compressions would cause a spike on an EKG.

Heart muscle is myogenic, which means it produces its own electrical impulses and rhythmic contractions, not the brain, though the brain certainly can and does regulate the rhythm.

As for defibrillation, since it essentially "restarts" the heart, I think you would see momentary asystole ("flat line") followed by a normal sinus rhythm if everything goes right!

GoldShadow said:
As for defibrillation, since it essentially "restarts" the heart, I think you would see momentary asystole ("flat line") followed by a normal sinus rhythm if everything goes right!

Yes, defibrillation actually stops the heart, allowing the sinoatrial node to sync all the heart cells' beats.

What is asystole?

Asystole is a medical term used to describe a state of no cardiac electrical activity. In simpler terms, it means the heart has stopped beating and there is no electrical signal to stimulate it.

What causes asystole?

Asystole can be caused by a variety of factors, such as heart disease, drug overdose, severe trauma, or drowning. It can also occur as a result of a heart attack or during advanced stages of other medical conditions.

What is CPR?

CPR stands for cardiopulmonary resuscitation. It is an emergency procedure performed when someone's heart has stopped beating. CPR involves chest compressions and rescue breaths to manually circulate blood and oxygen to vital organs until medical help arrives.

Can CPR revive someone with asystole?

CPR can increase the chances of survival for someone with asystole, but it is not always successful. Asystole is a serious condition and needs to be treated by a medical professional. CPR is only a temporary measure until advanced medical care can be provided.

What are the success rates of CPR for someone with asystole?

The success rates of CPR for someone with asystole vary depending on a variety of factors, such as the underlying cause of asystole, the timing of CPR, and the person's overall health. Generally, the chances of survival decrease the longer the heart has been in asystole and the longer CPR has not been performed.