Understanding Op-Amp Integrator: Why the Ramping Effect?

• Thread starter ZeroScope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, the conversation discusses a person's confusion about how an inverting integrator works. They understand that it integrates the input voltage and that the output voltage is the same as the voltage passing over the capacitor, but they are unsure of how this causes the ramping effect. They propose a theory about the role of the capacitor and resistor in creating different voltage values, but are unsure about how time fits into the process. The conversation ends with a request for clarification and a link to a resource for further understanding.
ZeroScope
I'm having trouble understanding how this actually works. I understand that it integrates the input voltage and that the output voltage is the same as the voltage passing over the capacitor in the circuit. What i don't understand is why this causes the ramping effect?
I'm thinking it may have to do with one voltage being integrated by the integrator with relation to the capacitor and the resistor which creates a different value for the voltage which then gets integrated...etc. which then causes different values which plotted on a graph would give the ramp effect.
Is this how it works? thanks for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I just realized i neglected the time that this takes to happen. As its due to a certain time interval I am not sure whether what i originally assumed is correct. Now I am confused as to where time fits in with all this.

Sorry i realized i didnt take the fact that it is time dependant into my assumption. In this case I am even more confused heh.

Does this help? Or do you still have specific questions about the simple inverting integrator:

http://courses.ece.uiuc.edu/ece486/labs/lab1/386_op_amp.pdf

1. What is an op-amp integrator and how does it work?

An op-amp integrator is a circuit that performs mathematical integration on an input signal. It is made up of an operational amplifier (op-amp) and a feedback capacitor. The capacitor charges and discharges, causing the output voltage to ramp up or down depending on the input signal. This results in the integration of the input signal over time.

2. How is the ramping effect achieved in an op-amp integrator?

The ramping effect is achieved by the feedback capacitor in the op-amp integrator. The capacitor charges and discharges, causing the output voltage to ramp up or down depending on the input signal. This is due to the op-amp's high input impedance and low output impedance, allowing the capacitor to charge and discharge without significant interference from the op-amp.

3. What is the significance of the feedback capacitor in an op-amp integrator?

The feedback capacitor in an op-amp integrator is crucial as it allows for the integration of the input signal. It also helps stabilize the output voltage and prevents the op-amp from saturating. The value of the capacitor determines the rate at which the output voltage ramps up or down, and a larger capacitor results in a slower ramping effect.

4. How does the input signal affect the ramping effect in an op-amp integrator?

The input signal is the driving force behind the ramping effect in an op-amp integrator. The amplitude and frequency of the input signal determine the rate at which the output voltage ramps up or down. A higher amplitude or frequency results in a faster ramping effect, while a smaller amplitude or frequency results in a slower ramping effect.

5. What are the practical applications of an op-amp integrator?

Op-amp integrators have various practical applications, including signal processing, audio amplification, and motor control. They are also used in analog computers, filters, and voltage regulators. These circuits are particularly useful in applications where the integration of an input signal is necessary, such as in sensors or feedback control systems.