A question on special relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative velocity and the theory of relativity. It is mentioned that according to the theory, no object can exceed the speed of light. It is also explained that the correct way to add velocities is through relativistic addition, which is accurate for all speeds. Therefore, the speed of car B with respect to car A would be 0.975 c, not 1.6 c, as stated in the initial question.
choon_min
hi, everone I am new here, here is my 1st question, hope anyone can help me.

As the relative law, speed of any object can't exceed speed of light, c.
If got one car A move to right with speed 0.8c and another car B move to left 0.8c. (if assume car can move so fast la..)

So, if i am the driver of car A, for my frame of reference the car B speed relative to me is 1.6c, which is more than c, violate with theory of relativity, so any problem here?

Physics news on Phys.org
choon_min said:
So, if i am the driver of car A, for my frame of reference the car B speed relative to me is 1.6c, which is more than c, violate with theory of relativity, so any problem here?
That's only true if you use Galilean addition of velocities, which is only accurate for small speeds:

[tex]V_{a/c} = V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}[/tex]

The correct way to add velocities is to use the relativistic addition of velocities, which is correct for all speeds:

[tex]V_{a/c} = \frac{V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}}{1 + (V_{a/b} V_{b/c})/c^2}[/tex]

Thus the speed of car B with respect to you will be 0.975 c, not 1.6 c.

Note that for small speeds (small compared to light speed), the formula for relativistic addition of velocity is well approximated by the Galilean addition of velocity formula.

Hi there, welcome to the community! Your question is a common misconception about special relativity. The key concept to understand here is that the speed of light, c, is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that in your example, the speed of car B as seen from the frame of reference of car A will still be 0.8c, not 1.6c. This is because the laws of physics, including the speed of light, remain the same for all inertial observers. So there is no violation of the theory of relativity in this scenario. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let us know if you have any other questions about special relativity.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains how the laws of physics apply to objects moving at constant speeds in a straight line, specifically when the objects are moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It is based on the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. What are the main principles of special relativity?

The main principles of special relativity are the principle of relativity and the constancy of the speed of light. The principle of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the constancy of the speed of light states that the speed of light in a vacuum is always the same, regardless of the observer's motion.

3. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in several ways. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds, whereas classical mechanics assumes that time and length are constant for all observers. Additionally, special relativity incorporates the idea of spacetime, where time and space are interconnected and can be distorted by massive objects.

4. What is the significance of E=mc² in special relativity?

E=mc² is the famous equation derived from special relativity that relates mass and energy. It shows that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into each other. This equation has had a major impact on modern physics and has been proven through experiments, such as nuclear reactions.

5. How has special relativity been confirmed through experiments?

Special relativity has been confirmed through a variety of experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant in all directions. Other experiments, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment and the observations of the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, have also confirmed the predictions of special relativity.