Can You Travel Faster Than The Speed Of Light?

In summary, according to the equation E=mc2, it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light. However, this 'supposedly' proves there cannot be a speed greater than or equal to 100% of the speed of light. However, this is not always the case as velocity addition does have a limit.
WARLORDTF
This Question begs an answer and that is impossible but I'm sure we can agree on one 'unified answer'

I Know from a lecture about energy needed to travel at the speed of light and found:
E=(Gamma)Mo(Mass In A Stationary Postiton)C2 (Constant/Speed Of Light)

Now according to this formula there cannot be an answer for 99.999999...%< as Gamma
Gamma=√1-v2 (squared) V Is the index form of the speed of light 99%=0.99

this 'supposedly' proves there cannot be a speed greater than or equal to 100% of the speed of light.

could someone prove this wrong...?
I will post another theorem with this to help justify both answers.
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
No, "you cannot travel faster than the speed of light."

I think you should review the forum rules before you make any more posts, especially the part regarding "overly speculative posts."

sorry :)

Theorectical physics is, by inherent nature, speculative. But it also demands responsibility of factual foundation as a basis for the speculative.
It is not enough to ask "what if", rather the demand is to base the "what if" on established facts or to pursue a course of action to establish new facts for support.
This is very difficult... best of luck.

Correct me if I am mistaken:E=mc2 does not prove you cannot travel faster than light.I thought the fact that the speed of light in vacuum is constant(supported by experiments).So if a spaceship travels at c and has a headlight...an observer would measure the light beam and the spaceship to be at the same point(because the light beam goes at speed c and spaceship also goes at speed c).However,the speed of the light beam RELATIVE to the spaceship should be c.This contradicts the spaceship and the light beam being at the same point.And therefore we can never go at nor faster than the speed of light.

WARLORDTF said:
This Question begs an answer and that is impossible but I'm sure we can agree on one 'unified answer'

I Know from a lecture about energy needed to travel at the speed of light and found:

Now according to this formula there cannot be an answer for 99.999999...%< as Gamma

this 'supposedly' proves there cannot be a speed greater than or equal to 100% of the speed of light.

actually, you can get as close as possible to the speed of light, but you cannot reach the speed of light in a vaccuum, because it would take an infinite impulse to reach the speed of light.

The paradox you point is solved by time being relative. An observer would see the light moving forward just slightly faster than the spaceship. The time inside the moving spaceship moves slower so people on the spaceship would still see light moving at c.
As matthias points, you need an infinite impulse to reach c as your mass is increasing with speed, and that's why is not possible to move faster than c.
You can move faster than the light but not in vacuum.

vivesdn said:
You can move faster than the light but not in vacuum.

Right; hence Cherenkov radiation. As I understand it, though, the equations rule out only an object with mass traveling at the speed of light. The speculation about the existence of tachyons was based upon the possibility of something having c as it lower speed limit.

however if we found a state of essence that light could be slowed down in and propelled an item faster than this wouldn't that still create the same effects as this whole discussion is Based around E=γMoC2 where C is the speed of light in a vacuum if we change the C Variable into... say... Diamond Or excited gas where the light is slowed down then it would take a considerable less amount of energy to do this.

In my dreams...

Just look at the stars and start spinning around on your feet.. you will observe the stars to move faster than c. My point is that things can travel faster than c if we aren't talking about inertial motion. What exactly is it you wan't to know?

WARLORDTF said:

Velocity addition has no limit as it is a hyperbolic function. Pseudo-rotations in spacetime due to accelerations cannot turn from a timelike to a nullike path.

MeJennifer said:
Velocity addition has no limit as it is a hyperbolic function. Pseudo-rotations in spacetime due to accelerations cannot turn from a timelike to a nullike path.
Hello MeJennifer
The first remark about velocity addition I understand a little; do you mean it is an algebraic property with parallel consequences in geometry on hyperbolic surface? But the second about fourdimensional knowledge; could you enlighten me a little more?
greetings Janm

WARLORDTF said:
however if we found a state of essence that light could be slowed down in and propelled an item faster than this wouldn't that still create the same effects as this whole discussion is Based around E=γMoC2 where C is the speed of light in a vacuum if we change the C Variable into... say... Diamond Or excited gas where the light is slowed down.

No, you cannot do that. The equation is [itex]E=\gamma m c^2[/itex], and c is the speed of light in vacuum. It is perfectly possible for something to go faster than the speed of light in a medium, but never faster than c. When it does, the body releases Cerenkhov Radiation.

You guys are responding to posts from May 2008, the original posters probably aren't around any more.

Oh well. My argument still stands ;)

ZikZak said:
No, you cannot do that. The equation is [itex]E=\gamma m c^2[/itex], and c is the speed of light in vacuum. It is perfectly possible for something to go faster than the speed of light in a medium, but never faster than c. When it does, the body releases Cerenkhov Radiation.
Hello ZikZak
If you want to use an energy formula of v, it is not appropiate to use the one for total energy, but rather use:
E_kin=gamma m c^2 - m c^2
Note that v=0 implies E_kin=0 as it should.
greetings Janm

WARLORDTF said:
sorry :)

its ok :)
oh wait, you wernt talking to me

Ok. Your question is that can you travel at the speed of light? Well, I'm sorry, you cannot. According to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, simplified, E=MC2, it is directly stated that nothing may travel at the same speed of light, especially in a vacuum, which is the circumstance in space.Yet, there is a speed that far exceeds this, where particles travel at 1/1000000000000000000000000000000000000, or 6 millionth of a second. However, there is a twist. This speed is impossible to achieve in space but SPACE itself travels at that speed. Though this is only theoretical physics, because these rates are only recorded in the Big Bang. Hope I helped a bit. :rofl:

Let's suppose one cannot travel faster than speed of light but can travel "At" speed of light for the purpose of this speculation.

Here's the scenario:

Master Vader, after having won the Ultimate Championship of Golf on Earth, takes off in the Ultra Luxury Space Ship Lady Gaga at the speed of light towards Intergalactic Jedi Golf Federation Hall of Fame in Delta Quadrant.

Half way through the journey he notices Kendomaster returning from exile in a Compact Space Ship Volt at barely attained speed of light towards Earth.

Before Vader could say "hello" both space ships pass each other and are traveling at opposite directions.

"That Kendomaster...he must not know the Ultimate Championship of Golf is over. Always late. Poor chap," thought Master Vader.

Now. Both Master Vader's Ultra Luxury Space Ship Lady Gaga and Kendomaster's Compact Space Ship Volt are traveling at the speed of light. However, since they are traveling at precisely opposite direction each ship is traveling 2x the speed of light away from each other.

Applying Einstein's Theory of Relativity, speed of a moving object must be measured from a point relative to it's previous position to be exact. But that measured speed only applies to the moving object itself and not to any other object outside of it.

From Kendomaster's point of view Vader is moving away from him at 2x the speed of light. And vice versa.

To answer the quesion, "Can you travel faster than the speed of light?", the answer is no according to the equation. However, you can be traveling away from another object at 2x the speed of light if the other object is also traveling at speed of light in opposite direction.

So the ultimate rule in space travel seems to be that no two objects can move away from each other faster than 2x the speed of light, relative or not.

wangbul said:
Now. Both Master Vader's Ultra Luxury Space Ship Lady Gaga and Kendomaster's Compact Space Ship Volt are traveling at the speed of light.
(1) Their speed cannot be equal to the speed of light. You can make the same point (and same error) using speeds of 0.99c.
(2) What is their speed with respect to?
However, since they are traveling at precisely opposite direction each ship is traveling 2x the speed of light away from each other.
Not true.

Applying Einstein's Theory of Relativity, speed of a moving object must be measured from a point relative to it's previous position to be exact. But that measured speed only applies to the moving object itself and not to any other object outside of it.
Huh?

From Kendomaster's point of view Vader is moving away from him at 2x the speed of light. And vice versa.

To answer the quesion, "Can you travel faster than the speed of light?", the answer is no according to the equation. However, you can be traveling away from another object at 2x the speed of light if the other object is also traveling at speed of light in opposite direction.

So the ultimate rule in space travel seems to be that no two objects can move away from each other faster than 2x the speed of light, relative or not.
Nope.

Perhaps you are confusing what can be called the closing speed of the two ships as seen by a third observer. For example if ship A travels east at 0.99c with respect to earth while ship B travels west at 0.99c with respect to earth, then earth observers will say they are closing the distance at a rate of 1.98c. But note that nothing is really moving at that speed.

Relative to ship A, ship B is approaching at about 0.9999c (not 1.98c).

if i go through a wormhole aren't i traveling faster than light or does this have something to do with space-time? is there an equation for a spacewarp or are whormholes just sci-fi? how do i inform myself about the physics of wormholes?

sure i can travel faster than the speed of light

correct me if I'm wrong but,when we use the equation E=mc2 the mass [m] no longer remains the same [constant] at higher speeds...the mass is then expressed as
m=mo/[1-(v/c)2] ...so,as v [speed] approaches c the denominator approaches infinity...
thus,this tells us that to achieve the speed of light infinite amount of energy is necessary..
which is practically not possible..

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am sort of confused.I had a recent interview t study Astrophysics (UG).There I met one of the lecturers who has spent considerable amount of time on particles physics (his main subject of interest) and as such has permission to places such as CERN,LHC and so on.From what I have heard they had successfully made a beam of electron travel 100% to that speed of light. I wonder if these are actually called relativistic electrons ?

schonovic said:
if i go through a wormhole aren't i traveling faster than light or does this have something to do with space-time? is there an equation for a spacewarp or are whormholes just sci-fi? how do i inform myself about the physics of wormholes?

Wormholes work on a different principle. At no point do you travel faster than the speed of light between two points because the distance between the two points becomes zero (or as small as possible).

Wormholes a strictly theoretical at the moment and there is no direct evidence they exist.
schonovic said:
sure i can travel faster than the speed of light

Not appropriate and a waste of a post.
abhiroop_k said:
correct me if I'm wrong but,when we use the equation E=mc2 the mass [m] no longer remains the same [constant] at higher speeds...the mass is then expressed as
m=mo/[1-(v/c)2] ...so,as v [speed] approaches c the denominator approaches infinity...
thus,this tells us that to achieve the speed of light infinite amount of energy is necessary..
which is practically not possible..

Correct, you require infinite energy for any object with mass to travel at c.

ibysaiyan said:
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am sort of confused.I had a recent interview t study Astrophysics (UG).There I met one of the lecturers who has spent considerable amount of time on particles physics (his main subject of interest) and as such has permission to places such as CERN,LHC and so on.From what I have heard they had successfully made a beam of electron travel 100% to that speed of light. I wonder if these are actually called relativistic electrons ?

No, they've never achieved 100%.

lf light speed is the passport to traveling into the future, what is the ticket to traveling into the past, what is the oapasate of light speed? dark speed? or dark matter? you tell me?

it has something to do with reversing your polarity. if you have the polarity of antimatter you have to accelerate to go slower than light but can always travel faster.

Speed of light is a local limit. That's the real reason that GR allows you travel faster than light in global sense. That is, for any large distance d, you can travel it in less than d/c. You don't even need a wormhole for that one. Look up Alcubierre Warp Drive.

Of course, the problem is that all known geometries allowing FTL travel require negative energy densities, and it's unclear whether these are possible. Worse, creating a wormhole requires altering of topology, for which there is no known mechanism.

JaredJames said:
Wormholes work on a different principle. At no point do you travel faster than the speed of light between two points because the distance between the two points becomes zero (or as small as possible).

Wormholes a strictly theoretical at the moment and there is no direct evidence they exist.

Not appropriate and a waste of a post.

Correct, you require infinite energy for any object with mass to travel at c.

Didn't Stephen Hawking in a 2010 interview, say wormholes exists, I thought it was regarded as scientific fact not fiction.

gopolks said:
Didn't Stephen Hawking in a 2010 interview, say wormholes exists, I thought it was regarded as scientific fact not fiction.
We have no evidence of wormholes. It's a fact that wormholes are consistent with our understanding of the universe. It is not a fact that they actually exist.

this is a strange thread to have on the physics forum to my imagination since it is almost conclusive that relativity(which has not been disproven)predicts the impossibility of faster than light travel. i just don't see this as a serious thread and simply asks anybody to state their hokey theory for faster than light travel. i think on some occasions i would say that i can move faster than the speed of human perception but i don't really think anyone can travel faster than the speed of light which moves at a speed which can be described as seven times around the world in a single second. that's just too darn fast!

Nope.

schonovic said:
this is a strange thread to have on the physics forum to my imagination since it is almost conclusive that relativity(which has not been disproven)predicts the impossibility of faster than light travel. i just don't see this as a serious thread and simply asks anybody to state their hokey theory for faster than light travel. i think on some occasions i would say that i can move faster than the speed of human perception but i don't really think anyone can travel faster than the speed of light which moves at a speed which can be described as seven times around the world in a single second. that's just too darn fast!

anything with mass cannot move at the speed of light, let alone faster than

do a forum search on the speed of light subject there are many earlier questions and answers on the subject :)

cheers
Dave

1. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. This means that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Is it possible to travel at the speed of light?

No, it is not possible for any object with mass to travel at the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to reach the speed of light. Only massless particles, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light.

3. How close have we come to traveling at the speed of light?

Currently, the fastest man-made object is the Parker Solar Probe, which reached a speed of 213,200 miles per hour (343,000 kilometers per hour) during its closest approach to the sun. This is only about 0.00003% of the speed of light, so we are still far from achieving the speed of light.

4. What would happen if we could travel faster than the speed of light?

If it were possible to travel faster than the speed of light, it would violate the laws of physics as we know them. Time would appear to go backwards, and objects would have infinite mass. This would lead to many paradoxes and contradictions, making it impossible for us to imagine what would actually happen.

5. Is there any way to travel through space faster than the speed of light?

Some theories, such as the Alcubierre drive, propose the idea of manipulating space-time to travel faster than the speed of light. However, these theories are purely speculative and have not been proven or tested. Currently, the speed of light remains the ultimate speed limit for travel through space.