Is Mark Srednicki's QFT Textbook Worth the Download?

In summary, the conversation discusses a useful resource on quantum field theory available for download on the author's website and on Amazon. There is also an errata list and the download is legal. However, the website has recently become non-existent and there is speculation as to why.
wangjiaji
According to the https://www.amazon.com/review/product/0521864496/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_img?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1"&tag=pfamazon01-20 on Amazon, it's pretty good.

Download it http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/qft.html".

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is also an errata list, so it is a quite useful resource :-)

Best of all, it is a leagal downloading of the preprint from the authors homepage.

Hey in the last 2 weeks his website has become non existant. Is there anyone who could send me a copy of the preprint version and errata? He seems to have dissappeared

I sent you a PM. I don't anything happened specifically to him or his web site. The site says something about a hardware failure.

would you mind pm'ing me as well?

@ Frederik: PM me too!

It's back!

I thought maybe the publishers got mad at him for offering a preprint so maybe the website went down due to the police or something.

1. What is the level of difficulty of Mark Srednicki's QFT Textbook?

The level of difficulty of this textbook is considered to be advanced, as it requires a strong understanding of quantum mechanics and mathematical concepts such as group theory and differential equations.

2. Is the textbook suitable for self-study?

Yes, the textbook is suitable for self-study as it is well-written and includes many examples and exercises to help readers understand the material.

3. How comprehensive is the textbook?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics in quantum field theory, including canonical quantization, Feynman diagrams, renormalization, and more. However, it does not cover more recent developments such as string theory.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this textbook?

Yes, it is recommended to have a strong background in quantum mechanics and mathematical concepts such as group theory and differential equations before reading this textbook.

5. Are there any online resources to supplement the textbook?

Yes, the author has created a website with additional resources such as lecture notes, problem sets, and solutions to selected problems. There are also online video lectures available from other sources that can be used to supplement the textbook.