How to calculate deflection for thermal expansion of a ring?

In summary: Yes, that is correct. If you use the equation for a thin circular disk, with a symmetric temperature around the center, then you can get a rough estimate of the radial expansion due to thermal stress.
minger
Science Advisor
Hopefully quick/easy question. I am modeling essentially a flat plate under pressure load in ANSYS with a large thermal change. With fixed or simple support at the outer edges, of course the thermal stresses are crazy high.

To try and get a better estimate of stresses without modeling the entire stucture, I'm trying to get a thermal radial deflection of the support structure. Assuming that it's a flat ring or thin shelled cylinder does anyone know of a formula for deflection?

I looked in Roarks and didn't find anything, and in Shigley's I found an equation for a flat plate with fixed supports at the end:

[tex] \sigma = \epsilon E = \frac{\alpha \Delta T E}{1 - \nu} [/tex]
[tex] \epsilon = \frac{\alpha \Delta T}{1 - \nu} [/tex]

But then I'm not sure if this applies for radial loads, and furthermore, I'm not sure what length (diameter, radius, etc) to use with strain to get actual deflection.

Thanks for the help,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Roark's does have a section on thermal stresses. There is a paragraph that states explicitly what you are looking for in the first section:

Stresses Due To External Constraint
3. A solid body of any form is subjected to a temperature change [tex]\Delta T[/tex] throughout while held to the same form and volume; the resulting stress is
[tex]\frac{\Delta T \gamma E}{(1-2 \nu)}[/tex] (compression).

Maybe I'm not understanding your question. I am assuming that you are constrained around the entire perimeter. Is this the case?

No, rather the opposite. I'm trying to get an idea of how much an unconstrained ring will expand due to thermal expansion. That radial deflection will then be modified and used as radial deflection in the part that I'm actually trying to model.

If I hold the outer surface of the inner part fixed, and I raise the temp to 1400°F, the stresses are predictably erroneously high. So, my thought is that if I force the outer edges out, then it will help reduce the stresses by giving it room to move.

So, I see the equations of stress, but my question is can I simply convert that stress to strain, and if so, what length do I multiply by to get deflection?

minger said:
No, rather the opposite. I'm trying to get an idea of how much an unconstrained ring will expand due to thermal expansion. That radial deflection will then be modified and used as radial deflection in the part that I'm actually trying to model.

If I hold the outer surface of the inner part fixed, and I raise the temp to 1400°F, the stresses are predictably erroneously high. So, my thought is that if I force the outer edges out, then it will help reduce the stresses by giving it room to move.

So, I see the equations of stress, but my question is can I simply convert that stress to strain, and if so, what length do I multiply by to get deflection?[/QUOTE]

Here are a couple of links to get things going:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=99646
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/thexp2.html#c2

According to Goodier and Timoshenko, a thin circular disck with a symmetric temperature symmetrical about the center:

[tex]\sigma_r = \frac{E}{1-\nu^2} [ \epsilon_r +\nu \epsilon_{\theta} - (1+\nu) \alpha T ][/tex]

and
[tex]\sigma_{\theta} = \frac{E}{1-\nu^2} [ \epsilon_{\theta} +\nu \epsilon_r - (1+\nu) \alpha T ][/tex]

Thanks Fred, but I ended up just modeling the whole damn thing in ANSYS. After getting the temperature distribution it wasn't too bad.

Those equations would have helped though. Always a good answer Fred

LOL. I figured by the time I got my butt around to finding that section you had figured things out. Sorry it took so long. I am planning on modelling up a simple ring and running a temperature across it to see what kind of correlation I get. You piqued my curiosity.

I "think" the radial expansion I found was about 2/3 predicted by:

[tex] \frac{\alpha \Delta T}{1 - \nu} [/tex]

If I remember correctly...

1. What is thermal expansion of a ring?

Thermal expansion of a ring refers to the increase in size or volume of a ring when it is heated. This is due to the fact that as temperature increases, the particles of the ring vibrate more, causing them to take up more space.

2. What causes thermal expansion of a ring?

Thermal expansion of a ring is caused by the increase in temperature. When a ring is heated, the particles gain kinetic energy and start to vibrate more, causing them to take up more space and expand.

3. How is thermal expansion of a ring measured?

Thermal expansion of a ring is typically measured using a coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) which represents the change in size of the ring per unit of temperature change. It is usually expressed in units of length per degree Celsius or Kelvin.

4. What materials are affected by thermal expansion of a ring?

All materials are affected by thermal expansion to some degree, but some are more affected than others. Generally, materials with a higher coefficient of thermal expansion or a larger atomic structure are more prone to thermal expansion.

5. How does thermal expansion of a ring affect everyday objects?

Thermal expansion of a ring can affect everyday objects in various ways. For example, it can cause gaps to form in metal structures, leading to potential structural damage. It can also cause changes in the accuracy of instruments, such as thermometers and rulers, which rely on precise measurements.