What Is the Correct Current Draw Calculation for a 2Hp 208V 3-Phase Motor?

In summary, the person is asking for help in finding the current draw of a 2 Hp motor running at 208v 3 phase with a unity power factor and efficiency of 100%. They have forgotten how to calculate this and keep getting a value that is too high. Another person suggests using the formula P=IV and dividing by 1.73 for three phase motors.
Matt1234
hi there,
Looking for some info, on how i would find the current draw of a 2 Hp motor running at 208v 3 phase with a unity power factor and efficenty of 100%. I can't seem to put it together today and cannot get ahold of a TA, basically i need to size wires/fuses in a schematic for this current draw and completely forgot how to do this. I keep getting 862 A which i know is way too high. I know 2 hp = 1492 watts. Can someone please help me with the mathematic breakdown? Would be appreciated.

i think I am losing it been a real bad week for me.
I think can use this:

P(watts) = I(Amps) * v(volts)

1492 = I * 208
I = 7.17 A per phase?

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Matt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

This is not my field of expertise, but I am wondering if the 1492 W is the total power, and should be divided up among the 3 phases before doing the "P=IV" calculation?

Your calculation is correct for a single phase motor. For three phase you need to divied by 1.73 (square root of 3).

1. What is a 3 phase 2hp motor?

A 3 phase 2hp motor is a type of electric motor that is designed to operate on a three-phase power supply and has a power output of 2 horsepower (hp). It is commonly used in industrial and commercial applications for its high efficiency and power output.

2. How do you calculate the current of a 3 phase 2hp motor?

The current of a 3 phase 2hp motor can be calculated using the following formula:
Current (A) = Power (W) / (sqrt(3) x Voltage (V) x Power Factor).
The power factor is usually around 0.8 for a 3 phase motor.

3. What is the difference between single phase and 3 phase motors?

The main difference between single phase and 3 phase motors is the number of power supply lines they require to operate. A single phase motor operates on a single alternating current (AC) power supply, while a 3 phase motor requires three alternating current power supply lines. 3 phase motors are more powerful and efficient compared to single phase motors.

4. What is the typical voltage for a 3 phase 2hp motor?

The typical voltage for a 3 phase 2hp motor is 230V or 460V, depending on the specific power supply and region. It is important to check the motor's voltage requirements before installation to ensure it is compatible with the power supply.

5. How do you wire a 3 phase 2hp motor?

Wiring a 3 phase 2hp motor involves connecting the three power supply lines (L1, L2, L3) to the motor's three terminals, usually labeled T1, T2, T3. The motor should also be connected to a grounding wire for safety. It is recommended to consult a professional electrician for proper wiring instructions and to ensure safety.