Is Engineering or Programming a Better Path for Me?

In summary: It is important to listen to your own instincts and interests, but also to seek advice from others who may have more experience and knowledge in these fields. Good luck in your studies! In summary, the speaker is a first-year engineering student who is considering studying programming (IT) to improve their mathematics skills and make physics easier for them. They are unsure whether to continue with engineering or switch to IT, and are seeking advice.
wajed
I`m a first-year engineering student..

I`ve studied CalcA, CalcB, PhysA.. and going to study PhysB on summer..
When I looked at the study plane I found that this all should be easy for Differential calculus, Digital circuits, Signal processing, Electric circuits, (and even PhysB that I`ll study in summer will be pretty hard)

so.. I thought like.. If I have very good programming skills.. and want to be more into the core of mathematics (I`d like to start from the core and keep going..)(not start from CalcA and go to differential calculus... becaus it will be like only solving problems and getting used to them) Then I can study programming (IT) in which I`ll have better chance to study mathematics from the core.. and since it will all be easy to me.. I`ll have time to study more core mathematics..
when I graduate.. I`ll have vast knowledge of mathematics.. and also be a good programmer.. and so physics won`t be hard for me (not that programming matters to physics.. but programming have great relationship with mathematics..and mathematics has great relationship with physics..)

Dad says even if I do bad while I`m studying eingeering.. its still ok.. and still better than studying IT..
While I say.. I can study more programming and mathematics.. and then I can study the Physics easily.. (so.. Good marks in Programming+great mathematics+great programming skills.. +can easily study the physics I miss)

so.. well.. its not like I feel I need an advice..I think I just will study programming(+mathematics on my own)..
but maybe you know something I don`t see..
please give ur opinion..
to be honest.. I want to hear "u can do it".. but if there is really something else.. then I hope to hear it now.. before I move to the IT faculty

sorry for that mess.. I`m just a lil bit stressed.. and that's why no arrangement in what I`ve written.

EDIT: Well, I believe I should move to programming (IT) -and study more mathematics on my own, and do the physics after graduation-.. Thanx anyway

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.It's great that you are thinking about the long-term potential of your education and career path. It is important to think about what direction you want to go in and how you can best equip yourself with the skills and knowledge to achieve those goals. Programming and mathematics will certainly help you understand physics better. However, it is important to consider whether you have the time and resources to pursue both engineering and IT courses during your studies. It is also important to remember that a good understanding of mathematics and programming alone won't guarantee success in physics. You will need to put in the hard work to develop your skills in both areas. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide which course of action you wish to take. You could consider taking some engineering and IT courses simultaneously to get a taste of each field. If you find that you enjoy and excel in one more than the other, you could then decide to focus your efforts on that field.

I cannot give you a definitive answer on whether engineering or programming is a better path for you. Both fields have their own unique challenges and opportunities for growth. It ultimately depends on your interests, skills, and career goals. However, I can offer some advice based on my experience and knowledge of these fields.

Firstly, it's great that you are already thinking about your future and exploring different options. It's important to carefully consider your strengths, interests, and goals when choosing a career path. From what you have described, it seems like you have a strong interest in mathematics and a talent for programming. These are valuable skills in both engineering and programming, and you can definitely excel in either field with dedication and hard work.

Engineering and programming are both heavily reliant on mathematics, so having a strong foundation in this subject is crucial. However, the level of math required in engineering may be more advanced than what is needed for programming. If you are more interested in delving into the core principles of mathematics, then pursuing programming may be a better fit for you. You can always continue to study more advanced math on your own, as you mentioned, and this can open up opportunities in fields such as data science or artificial intelligence.

On the other hand, if you are interested in applying your mathematical skills to real-world problems and creating tangible solutions, then engineering may be a better fit for you. In engineering, you will also have the opportunity to work on projects that involve other disciplines such as physics, chemistry, and biology. This can broaden your knowledge and skills and make you a well-rounded scientist.

It's also important to consider the job market and demand for both engineering and programming. Both fields are in high demand, but the types of jobs and industries may differ. Research the job market and potential career paths to see which one aligns more with your interests and goals.

Ultimately, the most important factor is to follow your passion and choose a path that will make you happy and fulfilled. You mentioned that you want to hear "you can do it," and I believe that you can excel in either engineering or programming if you put in the effort and dedication. It's also important to keep in mind that your choice of major does not define your future career path. Many people switch careers or combine different fields later in life, so don't feel pressured to make a permanent decision now.

I wish you all the best in your academic journey and future career pursuits. Remember to always stay

1. Is engineering or programming a better path for me?

It ultimately depends on your individual interests, skills, and career goals. Both engineering and programming offer unique opportunities for problem-solving and innovation. It's important to research both fields and consider your personal strengths to determine which path may be a better fit for you.

2. What is the difference between engineering and programming?

Engineering involves designing, building, and testing physical systems and structures, while programming involves writing code to create software and computer programs. Both fields require critical thinking and problem-solving skills, but they use different approaches and tools.

3. Which field has better job prospects?

Both engineering and programming have strong job prospects, as they are in high demand in various industries. However, the specific job market may vary depending on your location and the current state of the economy. It's important to research the job market for both fields in your area to make an informed decision.

4. Which field offers a higher salary?

The average salary for both engineering and programming positions can vary greatly depending on factors such as location, experience, and industry. Generally, engineering positions tend to have slightly higher salaries, but this may not be the case for all specific job roles. It's important to research and compare average salaries for specific positions in both fields to determine which may offer a higher salary for you.

5. Can I work in both engineering and programming?

Yes, it is possible to have a career in both engineering and programming, as there is some overlap in skills and knowledge needed for both fields. For example, a software engineer may have knowledge of programming languages and also use engineering principles in their work. However, it's important to consider your interests and strengths to determine which field you want to primarily focus on in your career.