Does the Speed of Electrons Around Atomic Nuclei Affect Temperature?

In summary: Temperature is not dependent on the amount of energy or mass in a system, but rather on the average speed of particles within the system. This is illustrated by the comparison between classical gases and electrons around atoms, where the concept of temperature as the average particle speed does not hold true. Additionally, the hottest possible temperature, in terms of energy flow, is negative zero. The idea of an "absolute hot" is not relevant as it is determined by the speed of light rather than the speed of particles.
resolvent
Please, could someone here teach me, in a no-pun-intended crash course :smile:,
of how relativity plays into the speed of electrons flying around an atomic nucleus
as well as thermal energy vibrations.

Ok - I know it's wrong to think like they did in the 19h century, making the analogy of electrons around atomic nuclei to planets revolving around a sun.

Nevertheless, (average) particle speed is what temperature is.

Also, I never understood: does the "speed" of electrons "flying around atomic nuclei" have anything to do with temperature? At sufficiently high temperatures, depending upon the element or compound, electrons do get stripped away from atomic nuclei. So, I assume a plasma is some sort of "soup" of electrons and atomic nuclei. Hence, it does not seem to me that there is any difference between temperature associated with electrons "flying around a nucleus" versus interatomic Brownian motion, since both contribute to the kinetic energy of the ensemble.

Finally, the Nova program on the race for absolute zero asked if there is an "absolute hot".
Wouldn't that be fixed by the "speed of light" of these electrons and nuclei?

Physics news on Phys.org
Temperature has nothing to do with the amount of energy --- it's the derivative of energy with respect to entropy. Indeed, the hottest possible temperature (in the sense that if you put anything in contact with it, the net energy flow will be outwards) is minus zero.

The usual "speed=heat" is only true for a classical gas. Electrons around atoms are neither classical, nor a gas.

genneth said:
Temperature has nothing to do with the amount of energy --- it's the derivative of energy with respect to entropy. Indeed, the hottest possible temperature (in the sense that if you put anything in contact with it, the net energy flow will be outwards) is minus zero.

I did not mean to make it sound like I believed that temperature is a "mass" quantity,
that depends upon the total mass of a system. Of course, temp is a state quantity.

Nevertheless, I don't see how temp has nothing to do with the amount of energy per unit mass. I know you did not say "per unit mass", but I infer you would have added that anyway.

resolvent said:
Nevertheless, (average) particle speed is what temperature is.

Absolutely untrue. Even in the case of gases, where this makes the most sense, it's not true. The average particle speed of a tank of hydrogen at 300K is not the same as the average particle speed of a tank of xenon at the same temperature.

resolvent said:
Nevertheless, I don't see how temp has nothing to do with the amount of energy per unit mass. I know you did not say "per unit mass", but I infer you would have added that anyway.

What you are describing is closer to heat than temperature.

What is the definition of particle speed?

Particle speed refers to the rate at which a particle is moving in a particular direction. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

How is particle speed related to particle size?

Particle speed and particle size are not directly related. Particle speed is determined by factors such as the force acting on the particle and the medium it is traveling through. Particle size, on the other hand, refers to the physical dimensions of the particle.

Can particle speed be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. Therefore, particle speed cannot exceed the speed of light.

What factors affect particle speed?

Particle speed can be affected by a number of factors, including the force acting on the particle, the medium it is traveling through, and any external forces such as friction or gravity.

How is particle speed measured?

Particle speed can be measured using various techniques, such as using a speedometer or a stopwatch to measure the time it takes for the particle to travel a known distance. It can also be calculated using equations that take into account the factors affecting the particle's speed.