Calculate Mass of Carbon to Reduce Copper(II) Oxide

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the mass of carbon needed to reduce a certain amount of copper(II) oxide to copper, using the given reaction and equations for moles and relative atomic mass. The final answer is determined to be 2.4g of carbon. The use of significant figures is also mentioned. The method of dimensional analysis is suggested as an alternative approach to solving the problem.
ViralRiver

Homework Statement

Calculate what mass of carbon you would need to reduce 15.9g of copper(II) oxide to copper by the reaction:

CuO(s) + C(s) [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Cu(s) + CO(s)

Homework Equations

n = m / ar
(number of moles = mass / relative atomic mass)

If you know any more, it would be really useful for me though ;) .

The Attempt at a Solution

Ar(Cu) = 63.5
Ar(O) = 16.0
Ar(C) = 12.0

CuO = 1 / (63.5 + 16.0) = 79.5g
C = 1 / (12.0) = 12.0g

79.5 / 79.5 * 15.9 = 15.9g of CuO
12.0 / 79.5 * 15.9 = 2.4g of C

Basically, I divided the mass of CuO by the mass of CuO and multiplied by 15.9 to get 15.9g (as in the question). Then, I applied the same equation to C by dividing the mass of C by 79.5 and then multiplying by 15.9 to get 2.4g, which is my answer.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your answer is correct (don't quite understand all your steps, but your figures are right). How many significant figures do you need in your answer?

I would have done it like this:

[tex]15.9g ~CuO \left(\frac{1 ~mol ~CuO}{79.5g ~CuO}\right)\left(\frac{1 ~mol~ C}{1 ~mol ~CuO}\right)\left(\frac{12.01g ~C}{1 ~mol ~C}\right) = grams ~of ~C[/tex]

Last edited:

Bohrok said:
I would have done it like this:

[tex]15.9g ~CuO \left(\frac{1 ~mol ~CuO}{79.5g ~CuO}\right)\left(\frac{1 ~mol~ C}{1 ~mol ~CuO}\right)\left(\frac{12.01g ~C}{1 ~mol ~C}\right) = grams ~of ~C[/tex]

Please note, that dimensional analysis is not universally taught and in many places of the world stoichiometry is done with ratios.

Which doesn't mean you are wrong, just the OP can be completely not aware of the method you propose.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of calculating the mass of carbon to reduce copper(II) oxide?

The purpose of calculating the mass of carbon to reduce copper(II) oxide is to determine the amount of carbon needed in a chemical reaction to completely convert copper(II) oxide into copper metal. This information is important for accurately predicting the yield of the reaction and ensuring the desired outcome.

2. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between carbon and copper(II) oxide?

The chemical equation for this reaction is: C + CuO → Cu + CO. This means that one molecule of carbon reacts with one molecule of copper(II) oxide to produce one molecule of copper and one molecule of carbon monoxide.

3. How do you calculate the mass of carbon needed to reduce a given amount of copper(II) oxide?

To calculate the mass of carbon needed, you first need to determine the molar ratio between carbon and copper(II) oxide. This can be done by balancing the chemical equation. Then, use the molar mass of carbon and the given amount of copper(II) oxide to calculate the mass of carbon needed using the formula: mass of carbon = molar ratio x molar mass of carbon x mass of copper(II) oxide.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated mass of carbon?

The accuracy of the calculated mass of carbon can be affected by factors such as experimental errors, impurities in the reactants, and incomplete reactions. It is important to use precise measurements and pure reactants to minimize the impact of these factors on the final result.

5. Is it possible to use a different reducing agent instead of carbon?

Yes, it is possible to use a different reducing agent instead of carbon in the reaction with copper(II) oxide. Other commonly used reducing agents include hydrogen gas and carbon monoxide. The choice of reducing agent may depend on factors such as cost, availability, and the desired outcome of the reaction.