Telcon Strip Wound Toroidal Cores

• Thread starter Fluxtration
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wound
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a specific material, two tape wound toroids, for a three-axis vector magnetometer with specific target specs. The target specs were found in a PDF document from a company called Telcon, which mentioned the use of toroidal transformers in Hall Effect sensors. The conversation also discussed the advantages of using laminated construction for low-frequency transformers and how it could potentially minimize interference. It was suggested to contact Telcon directly for the product and also to try Dexter or mag-inc for similar materials. Finally, the conversation ended with the OP stating they have found the material they were looking for.
Fluxtration
Does anyone know where one could find such a material that is either by ordering online where delivery can be within a week to Toronto or a store near/in the city of Toronto?

Much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fluxtration said:
Does anyone know where one could find such a material that is either by ordering online where delivery can be within a week to Toronto or a store near/in the city of Toronto?

Much appreciated.

What is the application? What are your target specs?

Two tape wound toroids are needed for a three-axis vector magnetometer that will be built within the week.

The target specs:
http://http://www.telcon.co.uk/PDF%20Files/TELCON-CORES.PDF" [Broken]

Page 5, table 4, 7a

Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fluxtration said:
Two tape wound toroids are needed for a three-axis vector magnetometer that will be built within the week.

The target specs:
http://http://www.telcon.co.uk/PDF%20Files/TELCON-CORES.PDF" [Broken]

Page 5, table 4, 7a

Thank you very much for your time.

The link does not appear to be working for me. Even the base URL is not working for me:

http://www.telcon.co.uk

Update -- I finally got the base URL to work (flaky website?), and then was able to paste in the rest of the URL to get to the PDF. Whew.

But I'm still not very clear on the transformer construction or uses. It looks like the toroids are actually made from laminates? So when they say "strip wound", it is not referring to using strips for the actual conductors wound on the core, but rather that the core is constructed of laminated conductor materials with insulation between the laminations?

What is the advantage of using this construction? I can see it for low-frequency power applications, but in sensor applications? THe PDF mentions the use in Hall Effect sensors (which it sounds like is your intended application), but how is a toroidal transformer used in a Hall Effect sensor?

The solid ferrite toroids seems to cause high interference when they are close to each other. The tape wound toroids would be sufficient to suppress the frequency interference. Is there a store location where I can get it within the week?

Fluxtration said:
The solid ferrite toroids seems to cause high interference when they are close to each other. The tape wound toroids would be sufficient to suppress the frequency interference. Is there a store location where I can get it within the week?

Toroids should have minimal magnetic cross-coupling, and any electric field cross-coupling can be easily taken care of with grounded shields between the toroids. Laminated construction is generally used to minimize eddy current losses for low-frequency transformers, and I don't see how laminated construction could have anything to do with cross-coupled interference.

If you need some of their product, why not just call this telcon company directly? Seems like the quickest approach.

Fluxtration said:
Page 5, table 4, 7a

You didn't say what core material you want; see table 3.

berkeman said:
If you need some of their product, why not just call this telcon company directly? Seems like the quickest approach.

The OP wants item 7a from table 5, but at the bottom of table 5, the manufacturer says:

"Cores in the range 0a – 5c are regularly produced, whereas cores in the range 6a – 14b
can be manufactured to order, subject to our normal minimum order quantity."

It's likely they won't have any stock.

Fluxtration said:

Much appreciated.

You might try Dexter:

http://www.dextermag.com/Office-Locations.aspx [Broken]

You haven't stated specifically what your tape-wound toroid core requirement is. I have used special tape-wound cores in the past. Their special application is for cores with very thin laminations (~1 or 2 mil, for high bandwidth and low eddy current loss) and high permeability (>20,000) tape (special alloys and heat treatment). Give us more information on your dimensions, tape thickness, and permeability.
Bob S

I have found what I was looking for. Thank you all for the information.

Fluxtration,

Getting magnetics on short order can be difficult. If you run short, you might try mag-inc. It sounds like your alloy is permalloy or supermalloy.

I've also built core-based fluxgates using flat loop amorphous material from Allied Signal. You can get that material from Eastern Components magnetics.

- Mike

1. What are Telcon Strip Wound Toroidal Cores?

Telcon Strip Wound Toroidal Cores are magnetic cores used in electronic circuits to control the flow of electricity. They are made up of a long strip of magnetic material, such as iron or ferrite, that is wound into a circular shape to create a toroidal (donut) core. These cores are commonly used in transformers, inductors, and other electronic components.

2. What are the advantages of using Telcon Strip Wound Toroidal Cores?

There are several advantages to using Telcon Strip Wound Toroidal Cores in electronic circuits. These cores have a high magnetic permeability, meaning they are very efficient at conducting magnetic fields. They also have a low magnetic reluctance, which allows them to store and transfer energy with minimal loss. Additionally, the circular shape of the core reduces the amount of external magnetic interference, leading to better performance and lower noise levels in the circuit.

3. How are Telcon Strip Wound Toroidal Cores manufactured?

Telcon Strip Wound Toroidal Cores are typically manufactured by winding a long strip of magnetic material around a mandrel or core form. The strip is wound tightly and evenly, with each layer overlapping the previous one to create a continuous toroidal shape. The core is then heated and treated to ensure it has the desired magnetic properties. Finally, the core is cut and polished to the desired size and shape for use in electronic circuits.

4. What types of materials are used to make Telcon Strip Wound Toroidal Cores?

The most commonly used materials for Telcon Strip Wound Toroidal Cores are iron and ferrite. Iron cores have high magnetic permeability and are relatively inexpensive, making them a popular choice for many applications. Ferrite cores have even higher permeability and are often used in high frequency circuits. Other materials, such as nickel, cobalt, and powdered iron, may also be used depending on the specific requirements of the circuit.

5. Where are Telcon Strip Wound Toroidal Cores used?

Telcon Strip Wound Toroidal Cores are used in a wide range of electronic circuits, including power supplies, filters, amplifiers, and more. They are also commonly found in devices such as speakers, motors, and generators. These cores are especially useful in applications where high efficiency, low noise, and compact size are important factors.