Thermos Coffee Cooling: What is the Final Temperature?

In summary, to cool the 150 cm3 of coffee at 85 oC, two 11g ice cubes at 0 oC are added and melted completely. The final temperature of the coffee will be 0 oC, as the ice and coffee reach equilibrium and the total heat transfer with the environment is 0.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

A thermos contains 150 cm3 of coffee at 85 oC. To cool the coffee, you drop two 11g ice cubes into the thermos. The ice cubesare initially at 0 oC
and melt completely. What is the final temperature of the coffee? (Treat the coffee as if it were water)

Homework Equations

Qf = mLfusion
Q = mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to help someone with this problem. They have yet to learn about internal energy, so I am a little lost (forgetful) as to how to approach this problem
and explain it so that it makes sense.

How would you approach this problem?

Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that the final temps of coffee and ice will be the same since they reach equilibrium. I also know that there should (probably) be 3 terms: Q of the coffee, Q of the ice melting, and Q of the melt-water changing temp.

But I cannot figure out out to set up a balanced equation...

I got it...Total heat transfer with environment = 0...piece of cake...

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that can be transferred from one object to another, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

How does heat transfer occur?

Heat transfer can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between objects, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

What factors affect the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between objects, the type of material the heat is transferring through, and the surface area of the objects.

What is specific heat and why is it important?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is important because it determines how much energy is needed to change the temperature of a substance, and it can vary greatly between different materials.

How is temperature change related to changes in states of matter?

Changes in states of matter, such as melting, freezing, and boiling, occur at specific temperatures. When a substance reaches its melting point, for example, the temperature stops rising until all of the substance has melted. This is because the energy is being used to break the bonds between molecules, rather than increasing the temperature.