Can I Handle This Course Load? Seeking Advice.

In summary, Newtime says it's doable, Modern physics is a bridge between lower level physics and upper level physics, and Calc III should be easy if you've done Calc I well.
kooombaya
Is this doable??

Next year I'm taking organic, physical, analytical chemistry, modern physics, and calc3. I guess the only way I'll know is to actually do it and see if I can handle it but I wanted to ask you guys and see if you had any thoughts about it. Plus if you've been through this some tips and advice you can give me so I don't end up failing :(
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Only you know if you can handle it; not just because you are aware of your capabilities more than anyone here, but also because you know how these classes are at your school - we don't. That being said, organic chemistry seems to be a lot of memorization and work; almost a weed out class for chem majors from what I've heard. I'm not sure about the other two. Modern physics (is this a bridge between lower level physics and upper level physics including topics from QM, etc?) is usually more interesting than it is hard, and cal III should give you no problem if you work some practice problems here and there, provided you know cal I. In a sentence, that course load will probably be a decent amount of work but definitely manageable.

kooombaya said:
Next year I'm taking organic, physical, analytical chemistry, modern physics, and calc3. I guess the only way I'll know is to actually do it and see if I can handle it but I wanted to ask you guys and see if you had any thoughts about it. Plus if you've been through this some tips and advice you can give me so I don't end up failing :(
Thanks

What Newtime said. It's doable. What you said minus the Modern Physics is what a 2nd year chem major would take at my school. It's a lot of work but if you don't get behind you should be alright.

Chemistries will be the hardest. Modern different from school to school, & ever professor to professor. It seems everyone has a take on what is should be, but most of them don't seem to be too bad. Calc III is usually the easiest of the calculus sequence in my opinion. But yeah, like the others have said, only you know if it's doable or not. If you've had good grades up until now, I'd try it. If you have to, dropping a class isn't so bad if you absolutely have too.

Ok thanks for the input guys, it really helps. And winowmak3r I'm aiming for a degree in chemistry hence the courses. Thanks again!

1. Can I handle a heavy course load?

It ultimately depends on your individual abilities and circumstances. Some people are naturally skilled at managing multiple tasks and can handle a heavier course load, while others may struggle with time management and organization. It's important to assess your strengths and weaknesses and consider your current workload and commitments before deciding on a course load.

2. How can I determine if I can handle a course load?

One way to determine if you can handle a course load is to look at your previous academic performance. Have you been successful in managing a similar workload in the past? It's also helpful to talk to your academic advisor or a trusted teacher or mentor for their advice and insights.

3. What strategies can I use to handle a heavy course load?

Some strategies for managing a heavy course load include creating a schedule and sticking to it, breaking down assignments into smaller, manageable tasks, and seeking help when needed. It's also important to prioritize your tasks and make time for self-care to avoid burnout.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with my current course load?

If you are struggling with your current course load, it's important to address the issue as soon as possible. Talk to your professors about your concerns and see if they have any suggestions or resources to help you. You can also reach out to your academic advisor or a tutor for additional support.

5. Is it better to take on a lighter course load and maintain a higher GPA?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It's important to consider your long-term goals and how a lighter or heavier course load may impact them. Some students may prioritize maintaining a high GPA, while others may prioritize graduating sooner. It's important to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision that aligns with your individual goals and abilities.