Location of Fermi level in semiconductors

In summary, the Fermi level (Ef) is defined as the highest occupied energy level at zero temperature and can be arbitrarily placed within the band gap. However, in practical applications, it is typically located in the middle of the gap. The chemical potential at finite temperature can also affect the location of the Fermi level. While theoretically, one can give meaning to the Fermi level in this case, it is not possible to measure it in a laboratory experiment. The location of the Fermi level within the band gap does not determine the breakdown conduction, which is instead dependent on the size of the band gap and the thickness of the material.
znbhckcs
Hi

Strictly from the definition of the Fermi level as the highest energy occupied at zero temperature, it seems that in the presence of a band gap the Fermi level (Ef) could be placed fairly arbitrarily anywhere between the conduction (Ec) and valence (Ev) bands, since the density of states is zero in that region.

At least, that's what I always thought.

What if I apply a constant voltage V to the sample? When V reaches Ec-Ef I should start getting a current even at zero temperature, and so measure Ec-Ef.

Of course, the difference between the Ec-Ev could be measured in many ways, for example, absorption spectra.

And so, Ef can be determined!

Am I right? If so, I'd be glad to hear what is the physics involved in determining Ef... How is it defined if not by the Fermi-Dirac distribution?

P.S
I know the Ef usually appears in the middle of the band gap in the literature. As I said, I think it is arbitrary in undoped materials, and would be glad to be taught otherwise.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A better definition of Ef IMO is zero temperature limit of the chemical potential: [tex]E_F = \lim_{T \rightarrow 0} \mu(T)[/tex]

The chemical potential will be well defined in a semiconductor at finite temperature, and it will deviate from the center of the gap depending on what the shape of the density of states for the valence and conduction bands are. But in practice, if one is not considering finite temperature effects, then you are right the Fermi level can be arbitrarily located within the gap.

Just applying a voltage won't work like you want. Otherwise you'd only need 10 V to get conduction through just about any material, since band gaps are rarely larger than that.

Well, you are never really at zero temperature, and there are always other mechanisms to get a current going before reaching such a large voltage.

So, of course my supposed experiment will not really work in a laboratory.

But, theoretically, can one give meaning to the Fermi level in this case? Why is it always placed in the middle of the gap in the literature?

Most of the articles I read place the gap at the top of the valence band.

Your experiment won't work the way you describe not because we're always working at finite temperature. If you apply a voltage bias so that the valence overlaps the conduction band, this results in breakdown conduction. But it's tied to the size of the band gap, not the location of the Fermi level within the band gap. Also it requires that electrons can tunnel the distance the voltage is applied over, so it depends on the thickness of the material. So it's more appropriate to talk about a breakdown electric field.

1. What is the Fermi level in a semiconductor?

The Fermi level in a semiconductor refers to the energy level at which there is a 50% probability of an electron being present. It can also be thought of as the energy level at which the highest occupied energy state is filled.

2. How is the Fermi level determined in semiconductors?

The Fermi level in semiconductors is typically determined through measurements of electrical conductivity or by using theoretical models and equations. It can also be calculated by considering the number of electrons and holes present in the semiconductor material.

3. What factors affect the location of the Fermi level in semiconductors?

The location of the Fermi level in semiconductors is influenced by factors such as temperature, doping concentration, and the type of semiconductor material. Doping with impurities can shift the Fermi level, as well as changing the temperature of the material.

4. Why is the location of the Fermi level important in semiconductors?

The location of the Fermi level is crucial for understanding the electronic properties of semiconductors. It determines the concentration of electrons and holes in the material, which in turn affects its conductivity and other electronic behaviors.

5. How does the location of the Fermi level impact semiconductor devices?

The position of the Fermi level plays a significant role in the operation of semiconductor devices. It affects the band gap, carrier concentration, and other electronic properties that determine the device's performance and capabilities.