Spur Gears: Is Tangential Pitch Circle Necessary?

In summary, the conversation is about the necessity of the pitch circles of two mating gears being tangential. The person asking the question believes that a gap of 0.3mm will cause slip and is looking for confirmation. Another person provides a link to an article that discusses gears and suggests that the pitch circle must be tangential. The conversation ends with a request for input from engineers and a clarification on the definition of pitch circle.
aniruddha
I have this doubt on spur gears
Is it necessary that the pitch circles of the two mating gears need to be tangential? or will a small gap of 0.3mm matter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think a gap that large will cause slip. Thus I should think they need to be tangential. Hoping for someone to come in and confirm that though.

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but you can read about http://www.meccanoscene.co.uk/html/articles/gears/gears.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he is talking about circular pitch. In which case I would think this has to be tangential.

I am trying to find some engineers who might know the exact answer.

I always thought that the pitch circle was tangential by definition. Isn't it defined by the line of action?

[PLAIN]http://www.fi.edu/time/Journey/Time/Lessons/pitchgear.gif

Or are you talking about pitch as in teeth/length?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of the tangential pitch circle in spur gears?

The tangential pitch circle is necessary in spur gears because it determines the size and location of the gear teeth. This circle also helps to maintain a constant velocity ratio between the gears.

2. Can spur gears function without a tangential pitch circle?

No, spur gears cannot function properly without a tangential pitch circle. Without it, the gears will not have the correct size and location of teeth, resulting in a loss of power transmission and potential damage to the gears.

3. How is the tangential pitch circle calculated?

The tangential pitch circle is calculated by dividing the diameter of the pitch circle (also known as the pitch diameter) by the cosine of the pressure angle. This calculation can be done using various equations and formulas depending on the specific gear design.

4. What factors affect the size of the tangential pitch circle?

The size of the tangential pitch circle is affected by the pitch diameter, pressure angle, and number of teeth on the gear. The pressure angle is especially important as it determines the shape and size of the gear teeth and therefore, the size of the tangential pitch circle.

5. Can the tangential pitch circle be adjusted after the gears have been manufactured?

No, the tangential pitch circle cannot be adjusted after the gears have been manufactured. It is crucial for the gears to have the correct size and location of teeth to function properly, and any adjustments made after production may result in gear failure.