Exploring Two Number Theory Problems: A Challenge for Mathematicians

In summary, the first problem can be solved by establishing a one-to-one correspondence between nonzero integers in base 3 and those in the specified form. The second problem can also be solved using induction, but a stronger induction hypothesis is needed, which can be obtained from the identity L_n = F_{n-1} + F_{n+1}. The maximum and minimum elements of C_s are N and -N, respectively, where N = 3^0 + 3^1 + ... + 3^s. However, it is important to note that not every integer with absolute value less than N can be expressed in the specified form. This is due to the fact that one element of C_s has s+1
Fisicks
I have wrestled with the following two problems for a couple of hours each and have been successful. Now I am interested in how a more experienced mathematician would go about solving these.

I encourage you to look past my lack of latex skills (lol), and do your best with the attachment I poorly put together.

A note about the second problem, If anyone is unaware F denotes the Fibonacci numbers and L denotes the Lucas numbers. Second, the term on the left side is a little blurry but it says the 2n Fibonacci number. Also I challenge you to solve this second problem without strong induction. Which I semi-managed to do. I proved a secondary result with strong induction then used that result to use regular induction on the main problem.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org
I have not completely worked out the first one, but I would try to form a one-to-one correspondence between the nonzero integers in base 3 and the nonzero integers in the form given by the problem.

For the second, induction seems like a good way to go. However, if you have derived the closed form formulas for both, the result follows immediately.

First problem:

The way I proved it was to prove for a fixed s, every integer in n with absolute value less than or equal to [itex]3^0 + 3^1 + \cdots + 3^s[/itex] can be expressed uniquely in the form:
[tex]\sum_{j=0}^s c_j 3^j[/tex]
with [itex]c_j \in \{-1,0,1\}[/itex] (I don't require that c_s is non-zero, since if it is we can just pick the largest j with c_j non-zero, and if all c_j are 0, then we are in the exceptional case where n=0).

First proving uniqueness suppose:
[tex]\sum_{j=0}^s c_j 3^j = \sum_{j=0}^s d_j 3^j[/tex]
with [itex]c_j, d_j \in \{-1,0,1\}[/itex]. You can show [itex]c_j=d_j[/itex] for all j.

Let
[tex]C_s = \left\{\sum_{j=0}^s c_j 3^j | c_j \in \{-1,0,1\}\right\}[/tex]
Try to work out:
1) How many elements are in C_s?
2) What is the maximum and minimum element of C_s?
When you answer these you should be able to show that C_s = {-N,-N+1,...,N-1,N} where
[tex]N = 3^0 + 3^1 + \cdots + 3^s[/tex]

Second problem:

I assume you know the identity (otherwise you can easily show it):
[tex]L_n = F_{n-1} + F_{n+1}[/tex]
Then your identity is equivalent to:
[tex]F_{2n} = F_nF_{n+1}+F_nF_{n-1}[/tex]
Now let us strengthen to induction hypothesis to also say:
[tex]F_{2n+1} = F_{n+2}F_{n+1}-F_nF_{n-1}[/tex]
Then you can perform a normal inductive argument (there are some slightly messy calculations, but unless you already know some identities involving Lucas numbers and Fibonacci numbers I don't immediately see a cleaner way).

Thanks for the reply rasmhop. One question.

In one element of C_s, there are S terms. Each term may be assigned either -1, 0, or 1. Thus there are 3^s combinations and C_s includes 3^s elements. But if your right, C_s should include 2N+1 elements. Therefore I can conclude that not every integer (absolute value) less than N can be expressed in your form.

Who is at fault here?

Fisicks said:
In one element of C_s, there are S terms. Each term may be assigned either -1, 0, or 1. Thus there are 3^s combinations and C_s includes 3^s elements.
0,1,2,...,s are s+1 numbers so there are s+1 terms, and thus C_s contains 3^(s+1) elements.

The maximal value of an element of C_s is:
[tex]N=3^0 + 3^1 + \cdots + 3^s = \frac{3^{s+1}-1}{3-1} = \frac{3^{s-1}-1}{2}[/tex]
and the minimal is -N. 2N+1 = 3^(s+1).

Thanks for showing me the light lol. I always forget about that zero, which hurt me a lot on exams working with convergence.

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers. It focuses on understanding the patterns and structures within numbers, and how they can be used to solve problems.

2. What are some common types of number theory problems?

Some common types of number theory problems include prime number problems, divisibility problems, modular arithmetic problems, and Diophantine equations.

3. How do you approach solving a number theory problem?

The first step in solving a number theory problem is to carefully read and understand the given problem. Then, you can start by identifying any patterns or relationships within the numbers. You can also use known theorems and formulas to guide your solution. It is important to stay organized and take note of any assumptions or logical steps you make.

4. What is the importance of number theory in real life?

Number theory has many practical applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and physics. It is also used in everyday life, such as in banking and finance to ensure secure transactions.

5. Are there any famous unsolved number theory problems?

Yes, there are several unsolved number theory problems that have puzzled mathematicians for centuries, such as the Goldbach conjecture, the Riemann hypothesis, and the Collatz conjecture.