Determining Worthy Universities

• Schools
  • Thread starter Whalstib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universities
In summary, a Geology major at University of Arizona is facing difficulties with the math and physics departments, which are in disarray. Despite being advised to take these courses at a local junior college, the student is unable to do so due to out-of-state fees and financial aid restrictions. The student is considering transferring to Northern Arizona University, where the advisors have assured a better program and more qualified teachers. The student is seeking advice on how to assess the quality of a program remotely.
Whalstib
Hi,
I'm a Geology major at University of Arizona. An excellent geoscience dept.! Ranked #1 for grad schools. I was impressed and signed up. I'm an out of state student paying out of state fees with help of FA.

My problem I've run into is it seems the math and physics depts. are in absolute disarray. I have confirmed this with about 2 dozen students, 3 instructors and my advisor. ALL tell me to take my undergrad physics and math at the local JC. But I can't because I'm out of state! FA won't pay me there and OOS tuition is too high for me. Arrrggghhhhh! My advisor actually said do not even consider taking these at UA! So just trying anyway is out of the question. Calculus is a 5 unit 5 day a week class which I'm ok with but if I drop I lose FA and there goes school altogether.

I had no idea I would run into this and am totally unprepared! I have to move on to the next level of classes and it seems impossible. i can't go skipping across the country looking for worthy math and physics depts so how does one assess them remotely?

I have spoken with some advisors at NAU and they say the program there is fine and in deed they actually list teachers for the classes not "staff". What ever decision I make will be for the next 3 years so I need to assure a decent undergrad program...

Any hints?

Thanks,

W

Physics news on Phys.org
Whalstib said:
FA won't pay me there and OOS tuition is too high for me.

Something that I would check first is to make absolutely sure that FA won't pay. In particular you really need to talk to someone from FA at the junior college, and just make sure that this is true.

1. What factors should I consider when determining if a university is worthy?

Some factors to consider when determining if a university is worthy include its academic reputation, student retention and graduation rates, available resources and facilities, and the success of its alumni.

2. How can I research the academic reputation of a university?

You can research the academic reputation of a university by looking at its rankings in publications such as U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, or Times Higher Education. You can also look at the research output and impact of the university's faculty and the accreditation of its programs.

3. What are some resources I should look for when evaluating a university?

Some resources to look for when evaluating a university include its library, research centers and institutes, career services, student services, and extracurricular activities. These resources can greatly enhance your academic and personal experience at a university.

4. How important are student retention and graduation rates in determining a university's worth?

Student retention and graduation rates are important factors in determining a university's worth because they indicate the level of support and resources provided to students, as well as the success of the university's academic programs. A high retention and graduation rate can also reflect the satisfaction and success of students at the university.

5. What is the significance of alumni success when considering a university?

The success of alumni can be a good indicator of the quality and reputation of a university. By researching the career paths and achievements of alumni, you can get a better understanding of the opportunities and education provided by the university. This can also give you insight into the potential networking and job opportunities available to you as a student at the university.