Escape velocity/orbit velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the speed at which a planet has to be launched, as well as comparing it to the speed required for the object to be in a circular orbit. The concept of orbital velocity is also mentioned, which is the speed of the object along its orbital path.
Badger01
"Given a planet has mass M and radius R, find the speed it would have to be launched at. Compare this to the speed required to put the object in the circular orbit."

I understand the first half where Ep=Ek
i.e: GMm/r = 1/2 mv2
rearrange to find v

how ever, I'm unsure of what exactly the 'orbit velocity' is.
is the the value of v in centripetal force, F = mv2/r
is this the same as the speed needed to launch it into orbit or what? i am rather stumped here..

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement is a bit confusing. I suppose it could be asking you to compare the escape velocity for an object leaving the planet's surface (planet radius R) to the velocity of a hypothetical object orbiting the planet at the planet's surface. Obviously one would have to ignore the problem of terrain variations, such as mountains!

To answer your query, yes, the orbital velocity is the speed of the object along its orbital path. So it is indeed the 'v' in mv2/r.

What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed that an object needs to achieve in order to escape the gravitational pull of a celestial body, such as a planet or moon.

How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity is calculated using the formula: Ve = √(2GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and r is the distance from the center of the body to the object.

What factors affect escape velocity?

The main factors that affect escape velocity are the mass and radius of the celestial body. The larger and more massive a body is, the higher the escape velocity will be.

What is orbit velocity?

Orbit velocity is the speed at which an object must travel in order to maintain a stable orbit around a celestial body, such as a planet or moon. It is determined by the balance between the gravitational force of the body and the centrifugal force of the object's orbit.

How is orbit velocity different from escape velocity?

Orbit velocity is lower than escape velocity, as it only needs to counteract the gravitational force enough to maintain a circular or elliptical orbit, rather than completely escaping the body's pull. Orbit velocity also depends on the altitude and shape of the orbit, while escape velocity is constant for a given celestial body.