How Many Spectral Lines are Produced During Electron Transitions in Hydrogen?

In summary: Do you see what I'm trying to say?Draw yourself a picture, using stacked horizontal lines to represent the states (2, 3 and 4), and downward arrows to represent the transitions. You should see that there are 3 possibilities almost immediately.
vkash
no of line in line spectrum is equal to jumps of electron from one shell to another. Am i correct.

IN my book it is written that if a electron in hydrogen jumps from n1 to n2 then number of spectral lines is given by formula {(n1-n2)(n1-n2+1}/2. so consider a electron jump from 4th shell to 2nd shell then number of kinds of jump can be (1) 4th to 3rd,(2) 4th to 2nd So there are only two jumps. but if we apply formula then it will come out to be 3. So where i or formula is wrong.
thanks for any kind of help.

Physics news on Phys.org
vkash said:
no of line in line spectrum is equal to jumps of electron from one shell to another. Am i correct.

IN my book it is written that if a electron in hydrogen jumps from n1 to n2 then number of spectral lines is given by formula {(n1-n2)(n1-n2+1}/2. so consider a electron jump from 4th shell to 2nd shell then number of kinds of jump can be (1) 4th to 3rd,(2) 4th to 2nd So there are only two jumps. but if we apply formula then it will come out to be 3. So where i or formula is wrong.
thanks for any kind of help.

what about 3rd to 2nd?

SpectraCat said:
what about 3rd to 2nd?

dear 4th 3rd and 2nd represent the energy level of hydrogen atom n1 and n2 represent the given energy level. Do you got it.

vkash said:
dear 4th 3rd and 2nd represent the energy level of hydrogen atom n1 and n2 represent the given energy level. Do you got it.

Yes, "I got it". You asked what the "third" transition was that is possible in the manifold of levels including 4,3, and 2. I told you the answer. The formula is correct, you just missed a transition with your initial analysis.

SpectraCat said:
Yes, "I got it". You asked what the "third" transition was that is possible in the manifold of levels including 4,3, and 2. I told you the answer. The formula is correct, you just missed a transition with your initial analysis.
what's that transition is that 3rd to 2nd. other transitions are already mentioned above.

vkash said:
what's that transition is that 3rd to 2nd. other transitions are already mentioned above.

Do you understand what you already wrote? I mean from the 3rd shell to the 2nd shell. Just like you "already mentioned" 4th shell to 3rd shell, and 4th shell to 2nd shell.

Draw yourself a picture, using stacked horizontal lines to represent the states (2, 3 and 4), and downward arrows to represent the transitions. You should see that there are 3 possibilities almost immediately.

1. What is the line spectrum of hydrogen?

The line spectrum of hydrogen refers to the specific colors or wavelengths of light that are emitted when an atom of hydrogen is excited and then returns to its ground state. It is a unique set of lines that are characteristic of the element and can be used to identify it.

2. Why is the line spectrum of hydrogen important?

The line spectrum of hydrogen is important because it helped to develop the concept of energy levels in atoms and the understanding of atomic structure. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as astronomy, spectroscopy, and quantum mechanics.

3. How is the line spectrum of hydrogen produced?

The line spectrum of hydrogen is produced when the electrons in a hydrogen atom absorb energy and jump to higher energy levels. As they return to their ground state, they emit energy in the form of light, which appears as a series of colored lines in the spectrum.

4. What causes the different lines in the line spectrum of hydrogen?

The different lines in the line spectrum of hydrogen are caused by the transitions of electrons between different energy levels. Each transition corresponds to a specific wavelength of light, resulting in a unique line in the spectrum.

5. How does the line spectrum of hydrogen differ from other elements?

The line spectrum of hydrogen is unique to the element and cannot be found in any other element. This is because each element has a different set of energy levels and therefore, a different set of possible transitions and resulting lines in its spectrum.