Primes in ring of Gauss integers - help

In summary, the problem is to show that the polynomial x^2+x+1 has a root in Fp if and only if p is equivalent to 1 modulo 3. This can be proven by showing that a) a solves x^2+x=-1(mod p) if and only if a is an element of order 3 in F^x_p, and b) F^x_p contains an element of order 3 if and only if p is equivalent to 1 modulo 3. This problem also has a second part, which states that (p) is a prime ideal in the ring R if and only if p is equivalent to -1 modulo 3. This can be shown by using quadratic reciprocity and
T-O7
Primes in ring of Gauss integers - help!

I'm having a very difficult time solving this question, please help!
So I'm dealing with the ring [tex]R=\field{Z}[\zeta][/tex] where
[tex]\zeta=\frac{1}{2}(-1+\sqrt{-3})[/tex]
is a cube root of 1.
Then the question is:
Show the polynomial [tex]x^2+x+1[/tex] has a root in [tex]F_p[/tex] if and only if [tex]p\equiv1 (mod 3)[/tex].

I thought i could show this in two steps, by showing that:
a) a solves [tex]x^2+x=-1(mod p)[/tex] if and only if a is an element of order 3 in [tex]F^x_p[/tex].
b)[tex]F^x_p[/tex] contains an element of order 3 if and only if [tex]p\equiv1 (mod 3)[/tex].

I've proved part b, but i can't seem to get a hold of a.
Please help :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first I think you need to review the problem and definitions... the things you've said don't seem to connect to one another.

Anyways, I think this might help: note that

x^3 - 1 = (x - 1) (x^2 + x + 1)

Hmm...sorry, i don't see what you mean.

It means that if a is a root of x^2 + x + 1, then it is also a root of x^3 - 1. (i.e. it is a cube root of 1)

ah, so a^3=1, and a has order 3. We can apply the argument backwards, and that will prove a). I see, thanks Hurkyl! :smile:
There's also a second part to this problem, which says (p) is prime ideal in R if and only if p=-1 (mod 3)
Apparently the first part of this problem applies, but i'll have to think about this more.

Ah, so that's why you mentioned R.

(Incidentally, I think you meant algebraic integers, not Gaussian integers)

I don't know if it will help, but note that if Fp has a root of x^2 + x + 1, then there is a homomorphism from R onto Fp.

I was looking at a somewhat similar problem, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=60863

You use quadratic reciprocity on [tex] X^2\equiv-3 [/tex] Mod p to discover that p is of the form 3k+1. Thus, this prime splits over a field with[tex] \sqrt{-3}, [/tex]so it would not generate a prime ideal.

Example: [tex]7=2^2+2+1=(2-\zeta)(2-\zeta^2) [/tex]

By the way, as Hurkyl points out, this is an algebratic number theory problem.

Last edited:
this is elementary. look at the group homomorphism from the multiplicative group Fp - {0} to itself defined by cubing. then if there is a primitive cube root of 1, the map is 3 to 1, and has image of order 1/3 the order of the group, i.e. then 3 divides p-1. on the other hand if 3 divides the order of the group, it is elementary group theory that there exists an element of order 3.

1. What are Gauss integers?

Gauss integers are complex numbers in the form a+bi, where a and b are integers. They are named after mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss and are an extension of the set of integers.

2. What is the ring of Gauss integers?

The ring of Gauss integers is a set of Gauss integers that form a mathematical structure under addition and multiplication. It is denoted as ℤ[i] and is a subset of the set of complex numbers.

3. How are primes defined in the ring of Gauss integers?

Primes in the ring of Gauss integers are defined as numbers that cannot be factored into smaller numbers, where the factors are also Gauss integers. In other words, a prime in this ring is a number that is only divisible by itself and 1.

4. How do you determine if a Gauss integer is prime?

To determine if a Gauss integer is prime, we can use the same method as determining if a regular integer is prime. We can check if the number is only divisible by itself and 1, and if it cannot be factored into smaller numbers. Alternatively, we can use the Euclidean algorithm to find the greatest common divisor of the number and its conjugate. If the result is 1, then the number is prime.

5. What is the significance of primes in the ring of Gauss integers?

The study of primes in the ring of Gauss integers has applications in various fields, such as number theory, cryptography, and coding theory. It also helps us understand the properties of complex numbers and their relationships with other mathematical structures.