Does this Workload look Doable?

• Thread starter violas
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a sophomore enrolled in five courses for the fall quarter: Materials Engineering, Linear Analysis II, General Physics III, Engineering Dynamics, and Mechanics of Materials. They believe the Materials Engineering class will be easy, Physics will be a review, and Linear won't be too difficult. They anticipate Dynamics and Mechanics of Materials to be their hardest classes. However, they are dedicated to putting in the necessary work and are unsure if they will still have time for a social life. The speaker is considering adding more courses, but the other person suggests focusing on getting a 4.0 in four courses instead.
violas
Right now, this is what I'm enrolled in for my fall quarter as a Sophomore:

1. Materials Engineering - General overview of MATE.

2. Linear Analysis II - Laplace Transforms, series solns to diffeqs, Gram-Schmidt orthog., Sturm Louville theory, Fourier Series.

3. General Physics III - E&M

4. Engineering Dynamics - No explanation needed.

5. Mechanics of Materials - Stresses/strains due to axial, torsional and flexural loadings on beams, bars, and shafts.

I figure the Materials Engineering class will be pretty easy, Physics will hopefully be mostly review, and Linear shouldn't be too bad. Dynamics will be my hardest class, with Mech. of Mate. as the runner-up.

The question is- do you think I'll be able to take these classes and still have somewhat of a life? I'm dedicated enough to put in the necessary work, but I'd like to enjoy this quarter at least a little bit...

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks a bit light.
Maybe add another two or three courses?

AndersonMD said:
Looks a bit light.
Maybe add another two or three courses?

Surely you jest sir!

I found 3 physics courses and a math course to be just too many numbers for me. Too many different formulas to memorize, unfortunately. E.G Maxwell's equation in differential and integral form, spherical harmonics, formula for hermite polynomials, coupled oscillator equations etc... I imagine engineering would have more to memorize such as specific qualities of materials etc.

If I were you I'd consider putting off one course for a semester and nailing a 4.0 in four of those classes. That would still be a great achievement.

Good luck

I cannot definitively say whether this workload is doable for you as it ultimately depends on your individual capabilities and time management skills. However, based on the course descriptions provided, it does seem like a challenging but manageable workload for a sophomore in materials engineering.

It is important to prioritize your time and make a study schedule to ensure you are able to keep up with the coursework. It is also important to communicate with your professors if you are struggling or need extra help. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and engage in activities outside of school to maintain a healthy balance.

Ultimately, it is important to remember that challenging yourself and pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone can lead to personal and academic growth. So while it may be a tough quarter, it is possible to succeed and still have a fulfilling life outside of school. It all depends on your dedication and determination. Good luck!

1. What factors should be considered when determining if a workload is doable?

There are a few factors that should be taken into account when evaluating the feasibility of a workload. These include the resources available (time, money, personnel), the complexity of the task, the skills and experience of those involved, and any potential obstacles or challenges that may arise.

2. How can I estimate if a workload is doable within a certain timeframe?

One approach to estimating the feasibility of a workload within a given timeframe is to break it down into smaller, more manageable tasks and assign time estimates to each one. This can help identify any potential bottlenecks or areas that may require additional resources or support.

3. Is there a certain workload limit that is considered doable?

The answer to this question can vary depending on the specific circumstances and resources available. It's important to consider factors such as the complexity of the task, the skills and experience of those involved, and any potential obstacles or challenges that may arise. Ultimately, the workload limit that is considered doable will differ for each individual or team.

4. Can a doable workload change over time?

Yes, a workload that may have been considered doable at one point in time may become more or less feasible as circumstances change. This could be due to changes in available resources, shifts in priorities, or unexpected challenges that arise. It's important to regularly reassess the feasibility of a workload and make adjustments as needed.

5. How can I ensure that a workload remains doable throughout the project?

One way to maintain the feasibility of a workload is to regularly review and adjust plans as needed. This could involve reassigning tasks, allocating additional resources, or modifying timelines. Effective communication and collaboration among team members can also help ensure that workload remains doable and any issues are addressed in a timely manner.