Electromagnet construction and off-axis field calculation with iron core

In summary, the conversation discusses sources for off-axis point calculation for multiple current carrying loops that contain a soft iron core. The individual has been using a specific resource but is unsure how to incorporate multiple loops into the calculation. They inquire about the approach for incorporating an iron core into the calculation and if it would be equivalent to multiplying the entire equation by the permeability constant. The conversation ends with a question about the shape of the core and the possibility of it magnetizing the core and creating a field similar to a cylindrical bar magnet.
Kibbel
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any sources for off-axis point calculation for multiple current carrying loops that contain a soft iron core.

I have been using this resource so far and I can figure out how to include multiple loops. How would I approach these calculations with an iron core inside of the loop?

EDIT: the resource is http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnet/offaxis/iloopoffaxis.htm

In the off-axis calculation it uses the original B which would be inside of 1 loop of wire. So I'm wondering if adding an iron core to the center would be the equivalent to multiplying the entire equation by the permeability constant?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the core cylindrical? If so, and if your coil has enough turns, it will magnetize the core and the field outside will resemble that from a cylindrical bar magnet.

Last edited:

1. What is an electromagnet and how does it work?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. This current creates a magnetic field around the wire, which can be strengthened by adding an iron core within the coil.

2. How is an electromagnet constructed?

An electromagnet is typically constructed by winding a coil of wire around a metal core, such as iron. The wire is then connected to a power source, allowing an electric current to flow through the coil and create a magnetic field.

3. Why is an iron core often used in electromagnets?

Iron is a ferromagnetic material, meaning it can easily be magnetized when placed in a magnetic field. This makes it an ideal material to use as a core in electromagnets, as it can greatly increase the strength of the magnetic field produced by the coil.

4. How is the strength of an electromagnet's magnetic field calculated?

The strength of an electromagnet's magnetic field can be calculated by using the equation B = μ_0 * (N * I) / L, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ_0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, and L is the length of the coil.

5. How is the off-axis magnetic field of an electromagnet with an iron core calculated?

The off-axis magnetic field of an electromagnet with an iron core can be calculated by using the equation B = μ_0 * (N * I) * cos(theta) / (2 * pi * r^3), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ_0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, theta is the angle between the axis of the coil and the point of interest, and r is the distance from the point of interest to the center of the coil.