Finding the Power Loss Through a Transmission Line

In summary, a factory receives 120kW of power from a power station 20km away via transmission lines with a resistance of 0.5Ω/km. The power loss in the lines is calculated by determining the total resistance of the wires and setting up a simple DC circuit with an EMF of 100kV. The current can be found by solving a quadratic equation and using that to determine the other necessary data. It is recommended to also calculate the loss assuming the given voltage is at the factory to check for any discrepancies in the problem formulation.
Larfleeze

Homework Statement

A factory receives 120kW of power from a power station 20km away via transmission lines. If the resistance in the power lines is 0.5Ω/km, what is the power loss in the lines if the electricity is transmitted at 100kV (Approximate to a simple DC circuit).

Homework Equations

V = IR
P = VI = I2R = V2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Now first I simply found the total resistance in the wires by

Rw = 20km * 0.5Ω/km = 10Ω

The DC circuit I then approximated consisted of 2 resistors, one representing the total resistance from the wires and the other being the load of the factory. Since the question states the voltage is transmitted at 100kV I used that as the EMF and set up my imaginary circuit thusly:
http://img15.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=951360451_Circuit_122_536lo.jpg

However, it appears at this point I don't have enough information to answer the question, since I don't have the current or the Voltage over either resistor. Am I missing something or is there an easy solution I'm just not seeing?

(I'm not very knowledgeable in this area of Physics, only did it in my first year of my undergrad, but I am mathematically inclined so I don't think I'll be frightened by the solutions... hopefully)

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "transmitted at 100 kV" mean? Is that the voltage at the source, or voltage supplied to the factory?

I suspect 100 kV is the voltage at the source.

One quick thing to mention - you will make your life a lot easier if you think in SI-units. Yes, I can see that when you calculate the wire-resistance there is a kilo- in the numerator and the denominator, but still.

You are given all the necessary data to solve this problem. There is a voltage drop across the line and you are given the power the destination receives. In a series, the current stays the same throughout.

Last edited:
The 100kV being the source was the conclusion I came to as well.

Thanks, lendav_rott, I think I may be getting where I'm going. I think I can find the current by reducing to a quadratic equation by saying that:

V = I(Rw + Rf)

=> V = I(Rw + Pf/I2)

=> RwI2 - VI + Pf = 0

And just solving for I. From there I can figure out all of the other data, I think.

Personally, I don't tend to worry about number crunching until I get there.

You should also compute the loss assuming that the voltage given is the voltage at the factory. If the results differ significantly, you should warn the instructor that the problem is formulated ambiguously.

What is power loss through a transmission line?

Power loss through a transmission line refers to the amount of energy that is dissipated or lost as heat during the transmission of electricity from one point to another.

What factors contribute to power loss through a transmission line?

The main factors that contribute to power loss through a transmission line include the resistance of the line, the distance of the transmission, and the amount of current flowing through the line. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and the type of material used in the line also play a role in power loss.

How is power loss through a transmission line calculated?

The power loss through a transmission line can be calculated using the formula P=I^2R, where P is the power loss, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the line. This formula is known as Joule's law.

What are the effects of power loss through a transmission line?

The effects of power loss through a transmission line can include decreased efficiency, increased costs for electricity, and potential power outages. It can also lead to voltage drops and reduced power quality.

How can power loss through a transmission line be minimized?

Power loss through a transmission line can be minimized by using materials with lower resistance, reducing the distance of the transmission, and implementing efficient power transmission technologies such as high voltage direct current (HVDC) lines. Regular maintenance and timely repairs can also help to minimize power loss.