How do I express magnetic latitude as geographic latitude/longitude?

In summary, SK says that you can find the magnetic longitude by solving a matrix equation in 3 space.
erotavlas
For a circle of latitude on the Earth centred on the magnetic pole, how do I represent that in geographic coordinates (lat and long), centred on the geographic pole?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
It's not clear why you want to do this. The magnetic pole location is subject to wandering w.r.t. the geographical coordinate system over time.

I understand that it wanders, and I have the model to calculate the correct position of geomagnetic pole at a given time.

WHat i need to do it plot the points of magnetic latitude and longitude on a map. So I'm trying to transform them into geographic coordinate system.

Anyway I found the transformation in this paper (page 3)
http://kho.unis.no/doc/Sigernes_Oval.pdf

But I'm stuck on the magnetic longitude calculation

You may be misunderstanding what SK was saying. Look at this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_Declination#Change_of_declination_over_time_and_space
Looking at the illustrations, it should be obvious to you that there is no 1-to-1 mapping between magnetic coordinates and geographical ones. That is two people thousands of miles apart may measure the same magnetic latitude. It isn't a good predictor of where you are, in general. It is best used locally.
I am not motivated to actually do the algebra to give you the answer, but this tells you how to get the answer.
Any point on the surface of a sphere can be represented by two coordinates which are transformed in a two by two matrix into any other (arbitrary) pair of coordinates. In 3 space, R is constant (approx) so what I would do to solve this problem is convert figure out the two matrices which convert geographical coordinates to spherical φ and θ, and do the same with your magnetic coordinates. Then figure out the inverses and multiply the Inverse of one by the other and you'll have the two transformation matices.
In other words given (lat, long) there is a 2x2 matrix which will convert them to (θ,φ). And there is a matrix which will convert (θ,φ) to (mag_lat,long) ((hint the final matrix will have for long (assuming geograph and geomagnet are the same) the row 0...1)). So, all you need figure is the values of lat and long which will transform to mag_lat. It will be composed of sin() and cos() functions of the (θ,φ) coordinates.

Magnetic latitude is a measure of the angle between the Earth's magnetic field lines and the geographic equator at a specific location. It is typically expressed in degrees, with positive values representing locations north of the equator and negative values representing locations south of the equator.

In order to express magnetic latitude as geographic latitude and longitude, one must first understand the relationship between the Earth's magnetic field and its geographic coordinates. The Earth's magnetic field is not aligned with its geographic axis, which means that the magnetic poles are not in the same location as the geographic poles.

To convert magnetic latitude to geographic latitude, one must use a mathematical formula that takes into account the angle between the magnetic field and the geographic equator at a specific location. This formula is known as the magnetic inclination or dip, and it can be calculated using the Earth's magnetic field model.

Once the magnetic inclination is determined, it can be added to or subtracted from the geographic latitude, depending on whether the location is north or south of the equator. This will result in the corresponding geographic latitude for the given magnetic latitude.

To represent a circle of latitude on the Earth centred on the magnetic pole in geographic coordinates, one must first locate the geographic pole and then determine the magnetic inclination at that location. This inclination can then be applied to the circle of latitude to determine its corresponding geographic latitude.

In terms of longitude, the geographic longitude of a location is not affected by its magnetic latitude. Therefore, the longitude for a circle of latitude centred on the magnetic pole would remain the same as its geographic longitude.

In summary, converting magnetic latitude to geographic latitude and longitude involves using the magnetic inclination to adjust the geographic latitude and keeping the longitude unchanged. This method allows for a representation of magnetic latitudes in geographic coordinates and can be useful for comparing and analyzing data from different locations on the Earth's surface.

1. How do I convert magnetic latitude to geographic latitude/longitude?

To convert magnetic latitude to geographic latitude/longitude, you can use a mathematical formula or an online converter. The formula involves using the current declination, which can be found on maps or through online resources. The online converter typically requires you to input your magnetic latitude and longitude coordinates and will give you the corresponding geographic coordinates.

2. Why do I need to convert magnetic latitude to geographic latitude/longitude?

Magnetic latitude and longitude are based on the Earth's magnetic field, which is constantly shifting. Geographic latitude and longitude, on the other hand, are based on the Earth's physical coordinates. Converting between the two is necessary for accurate navigation and location tracking.

3. Is there a difference between magnetic and geographic latitude/longitude?

Yes, there is a difference between magnetic and geographic latitude/longitude. Magnetic latitude and longitude are based on the Earth's magnetic field, while geographic latitude and longitude are based on the Earth's physical coordinates. This means that the two sets of coordinates will not align perfectly and will require conversion to accurately represent a location.

4. Can I use a compass to determine magnetic latitude/longitude?

Yes, you can use a compass to determine magnetic latitude/longitude. A compass measures the direction of the Earth's magnetic field, which can be used to determine the magnetic latitude and longitude of a location. However, this may not be as accurate as using a GPS or online converter.

5. How often do I need to update my magnetic latitude/longitude coordinates?

The Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing, so it is recommended to update your magnetic latitude/longitude coordinates every few years. This will ensure that your coordinates are as accurate as possible for navigation and location tracking purposes.