Why is my Screen Text Still Emboldened Despite Adjusting ClearType Text?

In summary, the person is having trouble with ClearType text and is not sure what to do. The person has a LG22EA53 analog monitor and has tried different options (clock rate, phase) but the text still becomes blurry.
Medicol
Please take a look at my screenshot attachment, I have tried several times to Adjust ClearType Text in Control Panel but nothing seems to change at all. Some letters are still always emboldened.
I am using
  • Windows 8.1.
  • Intel (R) HD Graphics card (current plug-in)
  • NVIDIA Geforce GT 620 (not in use)
I have tried changing my monitor plug-in to NVIDIA but the screen text then looks worse than that of the current Intel's does.

Attachments

• physics.png
    physics.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 566
Computer science news on Phys.org
I see nothing wrong with it. What is your complaint exactly?

LauraSuh said:
I see nothing wrong with it. What is your complaint exactly?
I used to see some letters getting bold in words. Now it became prettier and clearer to read texts. My monitor type is LG22EA53 (analog). But these said emboldened letters become blurred out when I change the Clock value down to 50 in the monitor menu. It also has Phase bar and I don't know what both (Clock and Phase) 's values are actually for (text blurring ?!?). I also can't explain how it also works with text in the image (The attached image was what I took while the text was in ugly display, now I changed the Clock, it changed too).

Medicol said:
But these said emboldened letters become blurred out when I change the Clock value down to 50 in the monitor menu.

Maybe your monitor or graphics interface isn't compatible with such a low clock rate. I don't think anybody uses 50 Hz these days. 60 is about the minimum, and higher is better.

If you don't know what options like "phase" do, the best choice is leave them at the default setting - or at least, find out how to restore the default settings BEFORE you start experimenting.

It must be your local problem, both the image and the normal text on the forum look identical on my monitor.

Make sure your resolution is set to your monitors native resolution of 1920x1080. You may also want to try a digital connection, a better analog cable, or reposition the cable so that it is away from sources of EM interference. A photo will better show your issue than a screenshot. Also do a factory reset on your monitor, and run an auto adjust afterwards if available.

Last edited:

1. Why does screen text look irritating?

Screen text can look irritating due to a variety of factors, such as the font type, font size, contrast, and brightness of the screen. These factors can strain the eyes and make the text difficult to read, causing irritation.

2. Can certain screen settings make text look less irritating?

Yes, adjusting the font type, font size, contrast, and brightness of the screen can make text look less irritating. Choosing a font that is easy to read and increasing the font size can reduce strain on the eyes. Adjusting the contrast and brightness to a comfortable level can also make the text appear less harsh.

3. How can I reduce eye strain from screen text?

To reduce eye strain from screen text, you can follow the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes, take a 20-second break and look at something 20 feet away. This gives your eyes a chance to rest and prevents them from becoming fatigued. Additionally, you can adjust the screen settings and take breaks from looking at the screen to reduce strain.

4. What are some common fonts that are easier on the eyes?

Some common fonts that are easier on the eyes include Arial, Verdana, and Calibri. These fonts are sans-serif, which means they do not have small lines at the end of the characters. Sans-serif fonts are generally easier to read on screens compared to serif fonts, which have these small lines.

5. Can blue light from screens cause eye irritation?

Yes, blue light from screens can cause eye irritation. Blue light has a shorter wavelength compared to other colors in the visible light spectrum, which can scatter more easily and cause glare. This can lead to eye strain, fatigue, and even headaches. Using blue light filters or reducing screen time can help alleviate this issue.