Complex numbers and modulus problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for which |z1 + z2| = |z1| - |z2|, with z1 and z2 as complex numbers. The conversation explores different methods of solving this equation and concludes that the only solution is when z2 = 0, through both geometric and algebraic approaches. The conversation also discusses the idea of proving the triangle inequality and using polar form to solve the equation.
TomMe
Suppose z1 = a + bi, z2 = c + di are complex numbers.

When does |z1 + z2| = |z1| - |z2|? (with || is modulus)

It seems obvious that this is the case when z2 = 0, but are there other solutions? According to the book, no. But after 2 days, I still cannot solve it! :cry:

Here is what I did:

[tex]\sqrt{(a+c)^2 + (b+d)^2} = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} - \sqrt{c^2 + d^2}[/tex]

Then I squared both sides, remembering that [tex]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} - \sqrt{c^2 + d^2} > 0[/tex]

If I work this out I get 3 conditions that need to be satisfied:

[tex]1) \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} - \sqrt{c^2 + d^2} > 0[/tex]
[tex]2) ac + bd \geq 0[/tex]
[tex]3) ad - bc = 0[/tex]

I do not see how this can be equivalent with z2 = 0, so I tried another way. Instead of squaring both sides immediately, I made both sides positive:

[tex]\sqrt{(a+c)^2 + (b+d)^2} + \sqrt{c^2 + d^2} = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/tex]

When I work this out, I get 2 conditions:

[tex]1) ac + bd + c^2 + d^2 \leq 0[/tex]
[tex]2) ad - bc = 0[/tex]

I still don't see how this means that z2 = 0, furthermore I suspect that both sets of conditions need to be equivalent but I cannot prove this.

So I actually have 2 requests:
1. Can someone tell me how to solve this?
2. Can someone show me how both sets of conditions are equivalent to each other, if they are? And if they are not, did I make a mistake?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know the proof for the triangle inequalities?

[tex]||z_1|-|z_2||\leq |z_1+z_2|\leq |z_1|+|z_2|[/tex]

If you go through these proofs, you'll might get an idea when equality occurs.

How about z2=-x*z1, where x is real and 0<x<1?

@Galileo: Actually, proving triangle inequality is one of the excercises that come after this one, so I'd like to keep that aside for now..although I'll look at it first thing tomorrow.

@mathman: You're right. If I did it correctly, that gives me [tex](1-x)\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} - x\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/tex]. So that means the solution in my book is wrong, right?
How did you come up with that solution anyway?

:smile:

Think geometrically.

Yes, I got it now. I also found a way to point it out algebraically, just write the complex numbers in polar form and go from there.

One last question though, suppose I get this question on a test or something..does it suffice to draw a picture of the complex numbers as vectors in the complex plane and point out what's happening, or do I need to do it the algebra way?
Somehow just making a drawing doesn't feel like it's complete..

Thanks for the help guys.

Hurky is right. In fact by thinking geometrically, it is easy to see that the solution I gave you is the only solution.

Perhaps you're right (most probably), but I still feel a lot more at ease if I can solve it with equations though. :blushing:

1. What are complex numbers and how are they represented?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary part. They are typically represented as a combination of a real number and an imaginary number, written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. What is the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus of a complex number is the distance of the number from the origin on the complex plane. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts. In other words, it is the absolute value of the complex number.

3. How do you find the modulus of a complex number?

To find the modulus of a complex number, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, square the real and imaginary parts of the number, then add them together. Finally, take the square root of the sum to get the modulus.

4. What is the relationship between the modulus and the argument of a complex number?

The modulus and argument of a complex number are both components of the polar form of the number. The modulus represents the distance from the origin, while the argument represents the angle between the number and the positive real axis. Together, these two components fully describe the location of a complex number on the complex plane.

5. How are complex numbers used in real-world applications?

Complex numbers are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and finance. They are particularly useful in situations where there is a need to represent both magnitude and direction, such as in alternating current circuits and vector analysis. They are also commonly used in signal processing and control systems.