Calculating Velocity at any given point in an orbit

In summary, your first step was incorrect, and you need to parameterize an ellipse that conserves angular momentum.
relativitydude
Hello,

I'm trying to really understand orbits. I want to be able to calculate the velocity at any given point in an orbit.

Now, parametrically an ellipse can be:

x = a*cos(t)
y = b*sin(t)

If those are position, can I take the derivative to obtain velocity?

x' = -a*sin(t)
y' = b*cos(t)

For the overall velocity:

V = sqrt( (-a*sin(t))^2 + (b*cos(t))^2)

However, there is a pesky t in there, now I use:

x' = -a*sin(t)

Solve for t

-x'/a = sin(t)
asin(-x'/a) = t

And subsitute t back into overall equation? Does this make sense or am I just making stuff up?

Physics news on Phys.org
relativitydude said:
Hello,

I'm trying to really understand orbits. I want to be able to calculate the velocity at any given point in an orbit.

x = a*cos(t)
y = b*sin(t)

x' = -a*sin(t)
y' = b*cos(t)

x' = -a*sin(t)

Solve for t

-x'/a = sin(t)
asin(-x'/a) = t

And subsitute t back into overall equation? Does this make sense or am I just making stuff up?

From your equations, you have computed the speed
V = sqrt( (-a*sin(t))^2 + (b*cos(t))^2).
Since
x = a*cos(t)
y = b*sin(t)
then
(x/a) = cos(t)
(y/b) = sin(t).
So,
V = sqrt( (-a*(y/b))^2 + (b*(x/a))^2).

I was going for in only for terms of x, to disclude y

Is it valid how you subsituted the original x and y, but not the differentiated ones?

Last edited:
relativitydude said:
I was going for in only for terms of x, to disclude y

Is it valid how you subsituted the original x and y, but not the differentiated ones?

I believe it's fine.

Continuing on...
(x/a) = cos(t)
(y/b) = sin(t)
means that
(x/a)^2+(y/b)^2=1
which can be solved for (y/b)^2.
That expression can then be inserted in the speed expression I derived, yielding an expression for the speed in terms of x... if that's what you really want.

relativitydude said:
Hello,

x = a*cos(t)
y = b*sin(t)

x' = -a*sin(t)
y' = b*cos(t)

x' = -a*sin(t)

Solve for t

-x'/a = sin(t)
asin(-x'/a) = t

Your very first step is wrong :-( You've parameterized an ellipse, but it's not the most general possible parameterization, which is

x = a cos(f(t))
y = b sin(f(t))

where f(t) can be any function.

then dx/dt = -a sin(f(t)) df/dt, dy/dt = b cos(f(t)) df/dt

The correct parameterization will sweep out equal areas in equal times (Kepler's law - this conserves angular momentum), so the angular velocity will be inversely proportional to the radius. Your equation has the angular velocity as being constant, which is wrong.

You should be able to work the problem out more simply, by taking advantage of the fact that angular momentum and energy are both conserved.

nicely done my son!

1. How is velocity calculated at any given point in an orbit?

Velocity at any given point in an orbit is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. This can be represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

2. What factors affect the velocity of an object in orbit?

The velocity of an object in orbit can be affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the gravitational force of the body it is orbiting, and any external forces acting on the object.

3. Can velocity change at different points in an orbit?

Yes, velocity can change at different points in an orbit. This is because the distance and time taken to travel a certain distance can vary at different points in an orbit, leading to a change in velocity. Additionally, external forces such as atmospheric drag can also affect the velocity of an object in orbit.

4. How is velocity related to the shape of an orbit?

The shape of an orbit can affect the velocity of an object in that orbit. Objects in circular orbits have a constant velocity, while objects in elliptical orbits can have varying velocities at different points in the orbit. This is due to the changing distance and time taken to travel a certain distance around the orbit.

5. Can velocity be calculated for all types of orbits?

Yes, velocity can be calculated for all types of orbits, including circular, elliptical, and parabolic orbits. However, the equation used to calculate velocity may vary slightly depending on the shape of the orbit and any external forces acting on the object.